The Windows 11 22H2 update is killing Nvidia gaming performance, causing BSOD for some...

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: Microsoft started rolling out the Windows 11 2022 update, also known as the 22H2 update, in over 190 countries earlier this week. As is always the case with these things, it has been causing issues for some people, including an impact to performance in games powered by Nvidia GPUs.

The rollout of 22H2 marks the arrival of Windows 11's first major update, bringing with it several features that were part of Windows 10. But it seems that, like every update Microsoft pushes out, this one has introduced several unwanted bugs.

Windows Latest does note that compared to previous releases, Windows 11 22H2 is fairly stable, so credit to Microsoft for that, though people affected by the game stuttering are unlikely to be too pleased.

Users on Reddit, Microsoft's Feedback Hub, and elsewhere are complaining about unstable frame rates in their games after installing the 22H2 update. One person writes that the only game affected was Battlefield 2042. There are also cases of G-Sync and the audio being affected, but the thing they all have in common is that rolling back the update fixes the issues.

It seems that the frame drops are only occurring in instances where the PC is using an Nvidia GPU. Team green has said it is investigating the reports, so we might hear more soon. If you are experiencing these issues and would prefer not to roll back the Windows update, turning off a service called "Nvidia FrameView SDK" may fix the problem. Disabling 'variable refresh rate and optimizations for windowed games' has also worked in some instances.

Microsoft could have been aware of the problem before 22H2 arrived, as some of those on the Windows Insider Program reported similar game performance drops when testing the update.

It's not just game stuttering that users are discovering. There are reports of the dreaded Blue Screen of Death appearing while the update is installing.

Thankfully, there aren't a large number of these reports, so the issues don't appear that widespread. Make sure to check out all the new features introduced in the Windows 11 22H2 update that aren't bugs in this article.

Permalink to story.

This is why I run Windows 10 Pro and completely disable updating. Screw MS and all the times they already broke Windows with their forced update crap on my Plex server.

I'm going to actually get a copy of Win 10 Pro and set that up on my Plex server so I can block any and all updates. Get bent, MS. Your updates suck and you suck and you should feel bad.

I have a 2070S and BF2042 and never had any problems with gaming performance since the update hit the beta channel. Good to see it getting looked at for those affected though.

But, but, but Nvidia video cards are so good and perfect and no problems with Windows drivers. This has to be a fake news...
Or did Nvidia piss and bite even Microsoft hand which is feeding them?
Oh, maybe the workaround is Linus Torvald Linux treatment.

1. Its day 3 of a new OS update, of course there is going to be some updated drivers software updates necessary to work out any necessary kinks. I feel like in this day and age of "needing hits to my website" This kind of news is a non story, but we try to make it out to be salacious/headline worthy etc.
2. I've been running 22H2 on my system for a few days now gaming it up per usual, with no noticeable issues. (R9:3950x/3080ti). I usually have afterburner stats running at all times on screen, and didn't see or feel any noticeable dips. Obviously I'm just one person out of millions....so I'm not saying "because mine works yours will too" just giving my experience......

I can't comment on gaming performance but the 22H2 update has made my pc less responsive in general. It has also broken my vpn connection using the wireguard protocol and I can't work out which part of drag and drop functionality has been restored, it doesn't work for me. Wish I had stayed on Win10 now.

But, but, but Nvidia video cards are so good and perfect and no problems with Windows drivers. This has to be a fake news...
Or did Nvidia piss and bite even Microsoft hand which is feeding them?
Oh, maybe the workaround is Linus Torvald Linux treatment.
Well, as you see by the comments, it is definitely, without a doubt, MS fault because yes, nvidia is simply perfect in every way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doubtful. To my knowledge Nvidia has only been at fault a handful of times over the ten years.

BSOD - why is one of the many fixes is update drivers , driver conflicts - isn't there 3rd party software to remove all driver junk completely - TBF the one I've seen recently was audio drivers .

Also I am not an IT person - just a regular Joe - but lots of BSOD are MS being super cautious - to stop exploits - overflow , wrongly addressed stuff etc - so if a wrong Call or whatever triggers BSOD for safety

I've been on windows 11 a few months n just installed 22h. Using a 1070, playing Warzone. No issues that I can tell. Not as tho I'd notice since Warzone has its own issues. But no crashing or blue screen.

Overall computer working the same as before.

I have a 2080 Super, but I hate the company nVidia so much at this point that I'm glad there are problems. All I can say is. "LOL".
Don't Say things like that, the Nvidia cult is as bad as the apple one and might want to chop your head off!😂

Last edited by a moderator:
Phew... a good reason to be happy for getting an RX 6900xt instead a 3080...
... So far I got one reason and counting.
/joking

Ok, taking it back... I'm having some stuttering in Heroes of The Storm... Thanks Microsoft.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be a windows update without a lazy bit of Rob Thubron 'journalism' where 3 people having issues isn't click-baited as some major issue with the release.

The 22H2 update has reinstalled Edge on a computer that was running fine without it for over a year. It has made reinstall persistent now so that you can't remove Edge.
Looking for ways to take that dang program back off my computer. I want to control the software not some lame browser doing it for me.
Also cannot resize windows on the desktop any more.
Looking forward to the next set of KB fixes, hopefully coming soon.

Oh man, this is hilarious. But in a bad way.

After the 22H2 update I loaded up SoD2. It was obviously running at a very bad frame rate. So was Dying Light 2 and Strange Brigade (my guilty pleasure).

I fired up the frame counter and discovered that all the games were running at 40 FPS. Right on the nose.

After some quick digging, I found that the update somehow turned on whisper mode in the NV control panel and it was set to limit the frame rate to 40 FPS.

I turned whisper mode off and all is back to normal.

I hope everyone having a problem has as easy a fix as I had.

giphy.gif

Oh man, this is hilarious. But in a bad way.

After the 22H2 update I loaded up SoD2. It was obviously running at a very bad frame rate. So was Dying Light 2 and Strange Brigade (my guilty pleasure).

I fired up the frame counter and discovered that all the games were running at 40 FPS. Right on the nose.

After some quick digging, I found that the update somehow turned on whisper mode in the NV control panel and it was set to limit the frame rate to 40 FPS.

I turned whisper mode off and all is back to normal.

I hope everyone having a problem has as easy a fix as I had.

giphy.gif
True, the worst problems of Windows updates is that is resetting user's settings, installing windows crapps, or make windows crapps default instead of users apps without user consent.
Hope that next year the last 2 apps (programs) which I need for my work will have a Linux version, and I'll switch to Linux completely.

Back