The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is getting a Nintendo Switch port this year

Polycount

Staff

Nintendo's Switch console is easily one of its best-selling devices of all time. And given the wild success of some of the Switch's predecessors (such as the original Wii), that's definitely saying something.

The Switch's success and widespread household presence are likely two of the reasons so many AAA companies, who have never given a Nintendo console a second glance in the past, are now porting their titles to the platform. Bethesda was one of the first to do so by bringing Skyrim, Doom, and Wolfenstein II to the Switch.

Now, CD Projekt Red, the team behind the fantastic-looking Cyberpunk 2077, has decided to bring The Witcher 3 to the console as well. Yes, you read that right -- The Witcher 3, one of the most graphically impressive games of this console generation, is coming to the weakest (in terms of hardware) system on the market. You can see it for yourself in the announcement trailer above.

Naturally, there will be some visual compromises to make this port possible. Textures and models are noticeably less detailed, for example. However, frankly, the game still looks fantastic; even with the Switch's performance limitations in mind.

If the thought of bringing CD Projekt Red's critically-acclaimed RPG with you on the go is too good for you to pass up, you can pre-order the port -- which includes all of the game's free and paid DLC -- sometime soon (we don't know precisely when). The port itself will launch later this year.

Also, in typical CD Projekt Red fashion, the physical version of the Witcher 3's Switch port will include a Witcher Universe Compendium booklet, two stickers, and a map of the game's world.

Permalink to story.

I expected the graphics to take a big hit if ported to Switch, but man, that's worse than I thought. Honestly though, the game is so good, I still would consider buying it.

I can't imagine the result.
Seriously, take a look at something like Doom or Wolf on Switch and not make the mental leap to an open RPG world ... all I can imagine is Witcher 3 Minecraft edition.

IMO, This falls in to the category of just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

There comes a point where the compromises needed to achieve it are too great and looking at the trailer that line has been crossed in terms of visuals.

Sad, the game lives from the world and the atmosphere and immersion. Thats pretty muhc lost here. All that is left, is the mediocre gameplay and thats not gonna be fun at an average of 19 fps.

Witcher 3 thrives on being a great visual expirience with a strong narrative element. On the Nintendo's Switch it is just a weak hack'n'slash.

Back