The Witcher is being made into a full-length film

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The Sean Daniel Company, the American production firm best known for creating The Mummy franchise, is teaming up with Platige Films to create a full-length movie adaptation of The Witcher.

The film will be based on themes from the short stories The Witcher and Lesser Evil from Andrzej Sapkowski’s The Last Wish collection. In other words, it won’t be directly based on the video game series or the novels. Thania St. John has been hired to work on the script, we’re told, while directing duties will be carried out by Tomasz Baginski who earned an Oscar nomination for the 2002 film The Cathedral.

John has experience writing for shows including Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Chicago Fire and Grimm.

A press release says the movie will introduce viewers to the Witcher’s world. It'll also be the first of what will be a series of films. It’s not yet known who will play the role of Geralt, the film’s lead character.

The latest activity in the franchise came from Polish studio CD Projekt Red in the form of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. That game arrived on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC back in May. As of August, more than six million copies of Wild Hunt had been sold.

The Witcher film is expected to hit theaters sometime in 2017.

Permalink to story.

Maybe by the time this Movie comes out I will have found the time to sit down and actually start playing The Wild Hunt, if not seeing this movie could inspire me to play the game. Maybe this could be a movie based on a game that doesn't do horribly, if they already have plans to make multiple films they must have something good in the works.

Maybe by the time this Movie comes out I will have found the time to sit down and actually start playing The Wild Hunt, if not seeing this movie could inspire me to play the game. Maybe this could be a movie based on a game that doesn't do horribly, if they already have plans to make multiple films they must have something good in the works.

The movie has potential if they stick to the source material (the books). The only way to mess it up is to attempt a generic fantasy action flick or trying to adapt the game to a movie.

The movie has potential if they stick to the source material (the books). The only way to mess it up is to attempt a generic fantasy action flick or trying to adapt the game to a movie.

Then here's to hoping they ignore the games and go with material from the books!

I suddenly cannot recall any movie that has been created based on a video game and have become a success, but I know many that have become huge failures (Doom, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Prince of Persia, etc...). Therefore I am afraid to see what this movie will become...
Perhaps Resident Evil was the only successful one, but it was only the success of Milla Jovovich's unique "skills", not the movie itself... :)

Which is the route Hollywood and ilk always take. They never comprehend that if they put effort into their works, they make much more in the long run.

I see no mention of retaining full decision to allow the script based on decision of the original author of the series', so that already doesn't seem good.

Pixels was a epic film, resident evil was epic but then more films came out increasing the shitte factor. This can be good but only if executed correctly and without crippling DRM.

I suddenly cannot recall any movie that has been created based on a video game and have become a success, but I know many that have become huge failures (Doom, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Prince of Persia, etc...). Therefore I am afraid to see what this movie will become...
Perhaps Resident Evil was the only successful one, but it was only the success of Milla Jovovich's unique "skills", not the movie itself... :)
But Witcher saga is a series of books and short stories going back almost thirty years? Although, technically it would be a reboot, and the previous 'Hexer' film and TV series where shitty as hell...

Well I can't comment really on the games, I tried to play the first one. It, was, awful. Maybe if I played it when first released, but I think I tried only in the last year or two on Steam and it stayed on my PC for a while, unplayed. After actually booting it up, it lasted a further 5 minutes.

So rather than go back to a game with awful controls and naff graphics, I am more than happy to see this displayed to me in a medium I hopefully can sit thru.

I can't imagine who will play Geralt. He has a very distinctive voice, and the voice actor looks nothing like him. Who would you cast?

Well I can't comment really on the games, I tried to play the first one. It, was, awful. Maybe if I played it when first released, but I think I tried only in the last year or two on Steam and it stayed on my PC for a while, unplayed. After actually booting it up, it lasted a further 5 minutes.

So rather than go back to a game with awful controls and naff graphics, I am more than happy to see this displayed to me in a medium I hopefully can sit thru.

Allot of people say this very thing about the first game. If you don't have the patience to at least play through a bit of it then I don't see how you can expect people to enjoy the games you hold as classics. The only difference between them and the Witcher is your emotional attachment.

The first chapter of the witcher does drag on. It gets much better after that first chapter.

The Witcher 2 is *nothing* like The Witcher 1 in terms of controls or gameplay. It is an entirely new engine with vastly superior graphics and controls. And The Witcher 3 is, IMO, one of the best video games ever made, so I think you are seriously missing out.

I too was very much put off with TW1's controls and didn't finish it. But what I did was went to the game's Wikia page and just read the story from start to finish, which prepped me story-wise for TW2.

Back