There is an IP address conflict with another PC on the network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Vader

I just set up our DSL gateway today, and my mother's computer, and mine both work on the network I setup, however, my brother's desktop required us to buy a wireless USB card, so it could detect the network. It can join, but only gets limited connectivity.

It says that there is a conflict with an IP from another computer and to contact the administrator.

All computers running vista.

Thanks

I'll assume you want a LAN where
you have you one or combination of couple hardware pieces that serve as your DSL modem and router?
You and your mother connnect via cable to the router.
Brother uses wireless to the router..

You probabably have router as DHCP server (i.e. all of your LAN equipment should request their IP addresss from the rouiter) and sounds like one unit is NOT requesting it from router rather then just creating its own

Are you familiar with procedure to logon to router and modify/change settings?

If you need further help will need make/model of router (find a metal tag on it will tell you)

And are you running XP? or Vista? You should also look in the Event Log for the error. See whcih one has the problem (sounds like wireless) and maybe give more data as well. For XP see here

/* EDIT */
Noted this after you fixed your problem and correcting my typo (in red above). Looks like you knew what i meant even tho left off the word NOT

All of the computers are running Vista, my computer is via Ethernet, and my mother's connection is wireless, so I don't think it's the fact that it's wireless.

And I found out that I can log on from either mine, or my brothers but not both at the same time.

I fixed it, all I had to do was go into the router settings and change the IP for each of the computers. Thanks for the help.

Coming in a bit late here, but it sounds as if one of the machines has a fixed IP address instead of getting it from the router. In the properties box for the network connection, go to the TCP/IP settings and make sure both groups are set to automatic.
Hope this was helpful!

Glad you fixed it in spite of my (less then clear) post earlier.

(had pointed out the problem was whether your router was assigning all IP addresses using DCHP vs. computers picking their own and two were in conflict.

when referring to the "wireless" computer I meant your brother's computer as i assumed other two were wired.

In any case, glad you solved your problem (and in spite of my hasty wording in my first post!)

Dr. Vader, when you did what I recommended, did you still have internet access?

(I recommended manually changing the IP's to see if it would help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back