This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use (Code 12)

EndaBuckley

Hi there,

I own an Alesis Multimix16 Firewire which I use to record music on my PC. I connect this to my Computer via VIA PCI IEEE 1394 Adapter (Firewire). Everything's been fine up until now, it seems my computer won't recognize when the firewire cable is connected to the computer.

So I flipped open the motherboard and made sure the adapter was connected into the slot properly as sometimes it can slide out a bit since it is at a weird angle when the PC sits upright. I rebooted again and it said that the Firewire adapter had been detected. Tried connecting the Alesis and still nothing.

Went into System and Device Manager, and under the IEEE 1394 Bus host controller tab it shows OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller with a highlighted exclamation mark over it, I click into the properties of this and it says under the General Tab:

'This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12). If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system'.

More specifically under the Details Tab it says this:

'PCI\VEN_1006&DEV_3044&SUBSYS_30441006&REV_46\4&DC268A3&0&4080'

Not sure entirely what this means. I googled it and a lot of ppl saying to try and update the drivers etc. but I don't think that this will do any good, as the last driver was back in 2001 and I don't think any new drivers have been made since.

Looking for a logical answer to this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attached a DXdiag file below too.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    44.5 KB · Views: 13
I don't know the answer but a couple thoughts

1) Checkout Code 12 HERE. Even if you're not running XP, I think the advice still applies
2) Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32, then Hardware Resources->Conflict/Sharing. Might be interesting to see what's shared with the problem device.

The problem has been resolved. Turned out the darn firewire card wasn't inserted properly into the motherboard! Thanks very much for your help though :)

I don't know the answer but a couple thoughts

1) Checkout Code 12 HERE. Even if you're not running XP, I think the advice still applies
2) Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32, then Hardware Resources->Conflict/Sharing. Might be interesting to see what's shared with the problem device.

Wow! Thanks, man! You have no idea how much time you just saved me! MSINFO32 looks to be a useful tool for any computer technician to have in their arsenal. Thanks again.

Back