This guy used a VPN to bypass congestion and fixed his Netflix streaming

Shawn Knight

Staff member

netflix verizon fios streaming vpn

As a Verizon FiOS Internet subscriber, Colin Nederkoorn expected his viewing experience with Netflix to be top-notch. But despite the 75Mbps downstream connection Verizon promises, his connection was only able to muster a measly 375kbps when streaming video from Netflix.

It goes without saying that such a slow connection resulted in a low-quality stream that paused often to buffer. Instead of waiting around for Verizon and Netflix to come to an agreement regarding bandwidth, Nederkoorn took matters into his own hands.

For $15 per month, he was able to use a virtual private network (VPN) called VyprVPN from Golden Frog as a virtual ISP. With this method, traffic from Netflix would take a longer route with more hops across different providers versus the path it would normally travel.

His results were staggering as streaming speeds increased from 375kbps to 3,000kbps - the maximum that Netflix will allow for an HD video. At that rate, there was zero buffering and the picture quality was much improved.

Golden Frog CTO Philip Molter said they go out of their way to avoid Level 3, not because they think they are bad guys, but because they know they are feuding with Verizon. That said, they use a link that isn't as congested.

Nederkoorn isn't pointing blame at anyone in particular as he realizes it boils down to a business dispute between two companies. Even still, however, he said he expects to get the level of service he pays for as a consumer and doesn't have much sympathy when they can't deliver on their promise.

Permalink to story.

Antitrust Division’s Citizen Complaint Center ... url:http://www.justice.gov/atr/contact/newcase.html

The Sherman Antitrust Act: "The Sherman Act also makes it a crime to monopolize any part of interstate commerce. An unlawful monopoly exists when one firm controls the market for a product or service, and it has obtained that market power, not because its product or service is superior to others, but by suppressing competition with anticompetitive conduct."

Had the same Netflix problem. It disappeared after I changed to a VPN. There are some free VPN networks out there, google it.

VPN for everything. The only issue is some sites blocking all IPs from some VPNs, but there are ways around that. Its sad that we have to resort to these measures to protect ourselves from criminal governments and corporations.

His results were staggering as streaming speeds increased from 375kbps to 3,000kbps - the maximum that Netflix will allow for an HD video. At that rate, there was zero buffering and the picture quality was much improved.
wow, I could not even get his previous (streaming) speed. :)

VPN for everything. The only issue is some sites blocking all IPs from some VPNs, but there are ways around that. Its sad that we have to resort to these measures to protect ourselves from criminal governments and corporations.
Yeah it really is unfortunate... too bad this will be more prominent in the future.

This just in, ISPs have now started throttling VPN traffic.
This is the exact reason why regulation is required. Private companies with localised monopolies can dictate to customers what they can do with the service they are paying for. If I want to download 100GB on my 100GB limited plan, why should an ISP be able to dictate the speeds I can do that, site dependent? It's a rort and they will backstab, lie, cheat, abuse, rob anyone they can to boost the bottom line.

This is what net neutrality is about. What if the ISP is the only provider in an area and they have no commercial arrangement and, as per the story's implication, limit netflix to say 8kb/s? Your "option" is to "move house"? That's CRAZY.

It's a well known fact to many corporate IT professionals that ISP's will either block or throttle VPN on "Home" connections if they see enough traffic being encrypted. More specifically they block protocol 50 and 51. And you get to have fun trying to get the ISP to understand you are saying protocol and not port. Long live 1-3 line support. I have seen this happen to Comcast, Cox, Verizon and Time Warner customers. Most of the time the ISP's excuse is that " VPN is a "business" service and therefor you need to change to a business account.

I still can and will vote with my wallet. So far Netflix or Verizon have not throttled my VPN connection. If or when they do/ Bye

WTF? Consumers have to pay extra to get service they are already paying for? That is CRAZY!!

Antitrust Division’s Citizen Complaint Center ... url:http://www.justice.gov/atr/contact/newcase.html

The Sherman Antitrust Act: "The Sherman Act also makes it a crime to monopolize any part of interstate commerce. An unlawful monopoly exists when one firm controls the market for a product or service, and it has obtained that market power, not because its product or service is superior to others, but by suppressing competition with anticompetitive conduct."
Very creative. Maybe if someone adopted this approach, we might get this resolved by the courts. I wonder if Netfilx is aware of The Sherman Act?

You'll have to try someone else. Perhaps the guy in the video, because I'm all out of cookies, badges and gold stars. :(
Nothing braggadocios about my comment just simply stating that you're either misinformed or don't have the bandwidth for Netflix to stream at 1080p.

ISP's will either block or throttle VPN on "Home" connections if they see enough traffic being encrypted. More specifically they block protocol 50 and 51.
hmm; see this for protocol numbers. Personally, VPN (ie encryption) is not the heavy bandwidth consumer and there's lots of good reasons to use it.

It's far more likely to see protocol
or
being blocked as this usage is long running (movies > 10 minutes) and consumes far more bandwidth.

Nothing braggadocios about my comment just simply stating that you're either misinformed or don't have the bandwidth for Netflix to stream at 1080p.

And you didn't watch the video. ;)

I did watch it. 720 is probably the max resolution of the video that the guy is watching in his Youtube video or the max that he can get through his VPN. I watch all Netflix content on my Playstation. The Netflix app on Playstation has a slightly hidden option to display the resolution of the video you're watching by clicking down on one of the thumbsticks, and it always says 1080p for HD movies and shows that I watch.

Also, the guy in the video falsely states that 3000 kbps is the max streaming speed for Netflix, which is false, the max is 5000 kbps.

Check for yourself: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/150

Don't believe everything you read or watch on the 'net.

Dude. Then your beef is with Shawn and the guy in the video, not me.
*smh*

Lol, typically in a discussion it is helpful to point out facts and/or inaccuracies to support your viewpoint and/or claims which is what I was doing. I was laying out all that facts that I know of to set the record straight. The support of your argument was apparently the video. I was simply pointing out that that the video was incorrect and here is why in order to support my viewpoint, not because I have a beef with you. I have no beefs with anyone.

Thanks for the article Shawn .Why using a VPN when you can use a DNS service like UnoTelly? The DNS option is much faster and easier to use.

Back