This is the new Google Pixel 2

Julio Franco

Staff member

Google has unveiled its second-generation flagship Android smartphones, the Pixel 2 and the Pixel 2 XL. Specs and design cues we had reported from leaks in previous weeks were spot on, with high-end specs shared between the two phones in line with other competing Android handsets, including premium pricing that starts at $649 for the Pixel 2 and $849 for the larger and sleeker Pixel 2 XL. Google is also throwing in the $50 Google Home Mini as part of the package with every purchase of either Pixel 2 phone, which is certainly a plus.

Shared specs include a Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor, 4GB of RAM, 64GB or 128GB storage, 12.2MP dual-pixel rear camera with OIS, 8MP front camera, "Active Edge" squeezable sides, IP67 water resistance, USB-C, and Bluetooth 5.0. There is no wireless charging option, though Google claims you can get fast charging at a rate of 7 hours of battery life on a 15-minute charge. The headphone jack is also absent, but you do get stereo speakers, USB-C headphones in the box, and a dongle to connect wired headphones using USB-C.

Both Pixel 2s use OLED displays with the option to use it as an "always on" display similar to Samsung's Galaxy phones. The Pixel 2 has a 5-inch display (1920 x 1080) in a body that is very similar to last year's phone -- that is, with fat top and bottom bezels. The larger Pixel 2 XL is almost the same size as 2016's XL but sports a much larger 6-inch display (2880 x 1440) and a sleeker profile as can be seen on the top photo.

Google Assistant is built in, which was a differentiator on last year's handsets. Google is touting the combination of hardware and machine learning once again, so there are a few other software features included in Pixel 2 such as Lens, Google’s new object recognition technology. There's also a portrait mode feature on the front and rear camera (using only one lens combined with machine learning).

On the design front, the new Pixel phones follow a similar language as last year's models with an aluminum unibody, a portion of the back covered in glass, no discernible antenna lines (hence the glass), a fingerprint reader centered on the back of the phone, and a front glass slab. The displays while bigger than last year's, do not present radical lines or curves.

The Pixel 2 cameras have been improved over the original models, which were touted as the best phone cameras you could find on a smartphone. We're finding contradicting statements about the camera hardware, some claiming the hardware is about the same but with software making up for the improvements which has already earned it a record 98 score in DxOMark.

The Pixel 2 starts at $649 and the Pixel 2 XL will set you back $849, both unlocked by default with 64GB of storage. An additional $100 will bump you to 128GB. Note the Pixel 2s have no microSD slot expansion. The Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL are available for pre-order starting today in select countries with shipping slated for October 19 and November 15, respectively.

Permalink to story.

Why is it so hard to make a 3.5mm hole in the side of a phone water resistant??? I don't get it, Man invented the wheel over 10 thousand years ago, still good today, the 3.5mm stereo jack came out in 1964 and for whatever reason everyone thinks its obsolete and needs to be merged into an existing jack which likely won't be around for more than 10 years rendering most if not all devices that use it obsolete. Headphones on the other hand which can and do last more than 10 years, can be used across a wide range of devices, can easily have the plug replaced, nope, can't have that supported without the use of a dongle... Thankfully it's bundled with the phone, but can and will be easily lost/stolen/broken.

USB ports are designed to only last so long, roughly 10,000 insertions for the new type C, so now you've just increased the usage of said port that is not easily replaced, great, what's that you want to put your phone in your pocket and listen to music. Well that's just going to exacerbate the issue because your applying all kinds of weird stress to that port that is the ONLY WAY to charge your phone... Hang on, I see what they're doing now, you bastards, now my phone will almost guaranteed not last more than 3 years between upgrades.

Impressive DxO mark score. This has got to be the best Android offering around. Don’t like that coloured power button or the look much in general. But function is more important than form and those front facing speakers look like they might be quite good. Needs to be cheaper rather than more expensive than an iPhone though, crazy prices! Oh, couldn’t care less about the headphone jack being missing, been wireless for years, it’s hard to imagine going back to threading a cable through my clothes tethering me to my phone!

Gorgeous phone. Will be picking one of these up!

Hope the sound card does my Sony Mdr 1000x justice!

Moving away from wires is such a superb idea, provides more stability for the phone by keeping it solid and removing the most wear down parts of the phone.

So no headphone jack, no micro sd expansion, no dual cameras, no wireless charging, the back design is ugly as hell, and the XL price is $50 more expensive than the iPhone 8 Plus. Only high point is pure Android and unlimited Google Photo upload, would that be enough to consider buying this phone?

So no headphone jack, no micro sd expansion, no dual cameras, no wireless charging, the back design is ugly as hell, and the XL price is $50 more expensive than the iPhone 8 Plus. Only high point is pure Android and unlimited Google Photo upload, would that be enough to consider buying this phone?

I havent used physical media in a long time. Even with my pixel 1 now I haven't filled half my phone up with photos. I think it's an excuse to be lazy or not use the cloud!

As for headphones, I went wireless about a year ago and haven't looked back. They're easier to use and wear and less to carry. I use my speakers a fair bit too, I don't see a need for that.

The dual cameras isn't necessary. The pixel 1 doesn't have it and the photos I've taken with this are stunning.

The phone will be in a case for its entire life so the design doesn't really matter. It sucks that the phone costs a bit more for the XL but overall I'm happy as it's priced similar to the pixel 1.

I havent used physical media in a long time. Even with my pixel 1 now I haven't filled half my phone up with photos. I think it's an excuse to be lazy or not use the cloud!

As for headphones, I went wireless about a year ago and haven't looked back. They're easier to use and wear and less to carry. I use my speakers a fair bit too, I don't see a need for that.

The dual cameras isn't necessary. The pixel 1 doesn't have it and the photos I've taken with this are stunning.

The phone will be in a case for its entire life so the design doesn't really matter. It sucks that the phone costs a bit more for the XL but overall I'm happy as it's priced similar to the pixel 1.

They're great phones I agree with you, but not for the asking money while lacking so many features. People have been bashing the iPhone so many years for lacking many features that Android have, and here we are an Android handset with even less features than the iPhone, from Google no less.

Samsung Galaxy A5, IP68 dust and water resistant, and with a headphone jack and USB-C that can be used at the same time. There is no problem doing it, the problem is with the manufacturers.
Headphone jack, micro SD, reasonably good camera are essentials for me. Your mileage may vary.
Have to agree with @Bao Nguyen

Really struggling to see what this offers over phones half the price, actually has less features than many.

A few years ago there were a few compelling reasons to spend the extra moolah and buy a flagship phone but these days there simply isn't any justification for them to even exist when you consider you're not sacrificing much, if anything at all by buying a solid midrange device. These high end devices are of more importance to the manufacturer than anybody else simply because they garner the most attention.

I heard that after two years, Google will no longer update the Pixel 1. Wonder if that's tru for the 2 ?

Back