Tidying up Win 7/Win10 dual boot system

When the opportunity to upgrade from 7 to 10 was presented, I was dubious, because I did not know if I would get all drivers and compatibility with all the software I had installed. (it turns out I was right, because I can't get a win 10 driver for my on-board Radeon 3000 graphics processor)
Anyway, I decided to resolve the issue by using two hard drives, upgrading win7 to 10 on one and installing a fresh copy of Win 7 on the other. It worked fine and I had a dual boot start-up which offered Win 7 as the first (default) option.
I had previously had a dual boot system on my older computer, with XP an 7 on, because I had software and hardware (Soundblaster Live Drive) which didn't work with Win 7 64 bit.
Unfortunately, Win 10 is on disk 0 and Win 7 is on Disk 1 and, although I reinstalled Win 7 from the installation disk by booting from CD, there was no Boot Manager installed on the Win 7 drive.
Consequently, although when I boot to win 7, windows explore sees the Win 7 partition as C and Win 10 partition as F, if I try to download and install new software, it wants to install on F. I believe the system sees the Boot drive (Win 10) as C and the Win 7 drive as something else, probably F.
I could accept this and trust that the installation was going onto my Win 7 drive, but if any program referred to application extensions or subroutines prefixed by F:\, when the run on my Win 7 disk they won't find what they're looking for.
I want to build a new boot manger on my Win 7 disk and swap the SATA connection so that it is disk 0.
I am nervous of making mistakes rendering the system unbootable and having to start it all again from scratch.
Any and all advice will be appreciated.

I've never tried dual booting and suspect it's something else just waiting to go wrong. If you have a desktop you could perhaps install an up to date graphics card boosting performance and also dump Windows 7. It's possible that having the two OS's connected together in this way is against Microsoft's terms and conditions. You are trading in W7 for a free upgrade which isn't the same as getting two copies of Windows.

I know it means lots more work but I'd look for a Plan B.

Back