Tim Cook confirms succession plan, commits to remain Apple CEO for foreseeable future

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Tim Cook is one of those rare types: a CEO who not only does a good job but is also liked by most of his employees and the general public. So, it shouldn't be surprising to learn that the Apple boss isn't leaving his position for at least the next few years, but when the time does come, there is a "very detailed" succession plan in place.

Cook confirmed the succession plan and his intention to stay as Apple CEO for the immediate future during an interview for the BBC Sounds podcast Dua Lipa: At Your Service, hosted by singer Dua Lipa.

Cook said that Apple believed in working on detailed succession plans in case something unpredictable happened. "I could step off the wrong curb tomorrow. Hopefully, that doesn't happen. I pray that it doesn't," he said.

When asked if he could say who is in line for succession, Cook said he couldn't reveal the details but that his job is to prepare several people for the ability to succeed, and that he really wants the next CEO to come from within Apple.

"So that's my role: That there's several [candidates] for the board to pick from," Cook explained.

The Apple boss said that he couldn't imagine his life away from the Cupertino company, and while he didn't know how long he'd be there, he wasn't planning on leaving anytime soon. Cook did admit that staying until 2050 to see Apple's promise of a 90% reduction in emissions come true was a bit of a "stretch." He would be 89 by then, though that's still younger than 93-year-old Berkshire Hathaway CEO Warren Buffett.

Since Cook took over from Steve Jobs in 2011, Apple's share price has increased from just under $13 to over $191. Its current market cap of $2.98 trillion is the largest in the world.

Cook also spoke about Jobs. "Steve was an original," he said. "I think only Steve could have created Apple and we owe him a debt of gratitude. There's no doubt in my mind that if he were still alive today the company would be doing outstanding, and he would still be CEO."

The role of big tech companies' CEOs has been under the spotlight recently following the chaos at OpenAI, which fired Sam Altman on Friday, installed Mira Murati as an interim CEO, then appointed Emmett Shear as interim chief executive, before finally rehiring Altman as CEO five days after he was let go (and seemingly about to be hired by Microsoft).

Permalink to story.

21 years of iTunes and it still messed up my holiday Audiobook and song lists, under Tim's rule Apple has gone nowhere but woke. Nothing just works anymore, the software is buggy and kills my batteries which I then have to get replaced. The whole ecosystem seems to be failing and there's nothing new. I used to be sitting in front of a PC at every keynote, all glee and looking forward to my new shiny and now I can't even be bothered to read the headlines on it.

21 years of iTunes and it still messed up my holiday Audiobook and song lists, under Tim's rule Apple has gone nowhere but woke. Nothing just works anymore, the software is buggy and kills my batteries which I then have to get replaced. The whole ecosystem seems to be failing and there's nothing new. I used to be sitting in front of a PC at every keynote, all glee and looking forward to my new shiny and now I can't even be bothered to read the headlines on it.
You have all these complaints and yet you still own Apple products and I assume you will keep buying them in the future. Funny how that works. I also find it amusing how quick people are to call anything they don't like "woke" now. It's the new catch-all buzz word that can be used on anything. Apple? Woke. Disney? Woke. Google? Woke. The guy who handed me my coffee this morning had a funky hairdo, he must be woke!

You have all these complaints and yet you still own Apple products and I assume you will keep buying them in the future. Funny how that works. I also find it amusing how quick people are to call anything they don't like "woke" now. It's the new catch-all buzz word that can be used on anything. Apple? Woke. Disney? Woke. Google? Woke. The guy who handed me my coffee this morning had a funky hairdo, he must be woke!
You forgot to add Netflix to your list.

Hi, Sorry you are incorrect in your assumption, I've not purchased any apple products since the iPhone 12 Pro Max, and only got that as needed to leave my DSLR at home as went to Brazil and needed a batter camera and larger screen then my previous phone. As a 54 year old gay man who runs their own business, I'd rather spend my time creating new software for my clients than spend weeks or months creating rainbow flags and pandering to whatever new thing appears to be in. Tim on the other hand doesn't seem to be able to pass up one of these opportunities, he needs to concentrate only on Apple until its back on track. I go way back Quentin Crisp look him up if you need to, was flamboyant, qu ee r, and not at all woke so don't pull in in with the masses . You can say a lot of bad things about Steve Jobs but that guy was relentless in his pursuit of making Apple products the best on the market.

Back