Tim Cook says the iPhone X's $999 cost is a "value price"

midian182

Staff member

Face ID isn’t the only issue of contention surrounding the iPhone X; there’s also that $999 starting price. It’s raised plenty of eyebrows, and Apple certainly wasn’t keen to highlight the cost during the launch event last week. But in his first interview since the iPhone X’s unveiling, Tim Cook said he believes it’s not that expensive.

During the Good Morning America segment, Cook faced a question from Twitter user @sorianoam that asked if he thought the iPhone X’s price tag put it out of reach for the average American. Apple’s CEO told host Robin Roberts that $999 represents a “value price” for the technology buyers were getting.

Defending the iPhone X's cost, Cook brought up the fact that most people now pay for their phones over a lengthy period, and mentioned that trading in old devices to reduce the price of a new handset is a common practice. He also talked about carrier deals and discounts that make the iPhone X a little cheaper. Still, it’s hard to imagine anyone outside of Apple employees describing the iPhone X as being “value price,” and Cook never brought up added optional costs such as AppleCare+.

“And so when we look at it, the phone — the iPhone in particular — has become too essential in our daily lives, people want it to do more and more and more, and so we built more and more technology in to be able to do that,” said Cook, who’s thought to have a net worth of around $700 million.

Cook also spoke about the consumer fears over Face ID. When asked if people should be worried about hackers or other threats, he said, "not with us, because we're about your privacy."

"We want to protect your data because we know it's yours, not ours. Once you place your face in the phone, it's in the phone. Apple doesn't have it. We've encrypted it on your device; you make the decision about who has it."

Permalink to story.

When you are addressing to sheep everything is on value price... do not mistake me... If you want to buy it buy it... but it is an expensive phone and it isn't VFM

What do you expect him to say? "New iPhone is an overpriced garbage"?

BTW When they blamed Samsung for the price of iPhone they pretty much agreed that it's pricey.

Cooks statement has to be true and it just demonstrates how obtuse he thinks consumers in general are to believe it. Guess what? He's right, they will, just because they want to be able to try justify their irrelevant and ridiculously overpriced purchase somehow.

Last edited:
Damn it must be nice to be in his position, although I would be less abusive with my power over the sheeple masses. At least I'd sell the sheeple something they can use.

Now for a limited time only!! Get this brown mass paper weight, it's organic, and recycled, can even help the plants in your garden grow, and best of all it's only three easy payments of $99.99, now that's good value!

Cooks comments change everything, I'm getting three. One for home, one for work, and one for the bathroom.

Maybe if Apple ever decided to bring in it's 90 billion they are hoarding over seas (they are far from the only US company doing it) then maybe the taxes they would pay could help offset some of these costs in government rebates to the consumer.

Lol so he's basically saying... "People are resourceful and will find ways to get us our due money."

Hey world, go pull up comparisons between the OnePlus 5 and the iphone X and tell me why you pay about 55% more. My 3T has been amazing since day one.

Lol so he's basically saying... "People are resourceful and will find ways to get us our due money."

Hey world, go pull up comparisons between the OnePlus 5 and the iphone X and tell me why you pay about 55% more. My 3T has been amazing since day one.
Same reason some morons will pay $1k for a pixel XL2 that only gets three years of updates.

Because sheeple will bleat about how great their "preemium" phone is. People who intelligently look at value and prices and what you actually need vs what marketing says are the minority, hence why the consumer industry in america has grown so ridiculously wealthy.

When is this a**hole Cook going to embrace the, "hiring more diversity" he is always blathering about, and hire a black person to replace himself? You know Shaq or somebody. like him. I'll bet he'd be able to punch those phones deep into the ghetto's defenses, and it would be a slam dunk, for him to sell a pair of "Beats" along with the $1000.00 phone to his "iPeeps".

Never knew I could tee up and butcher sports platitudes too, did ya?

Because sheeple will bleat about how Baa, Baa, Baad, A** their "preemium" phone is. People who intelligently look at value and prices and what you actually need vs what marketing says are the minority, hence why the consumer industry in america has grown so ridiculously wealthy.
Fixed! Onomatopoeia rules !

I'd say after labor, parts and manufacturing Apple pay about $150-$350 to make each iPhoneX.

Wait... I was off a little.
https://www.techwalls.com/production-costs-of-smartphones/
Those are official reported costs so you take another 15% - 30% off that price.

For all intensive purposes he's "kinda" right since the profit margin for the X(64) is only 42% (yeah I know "Only") compared to the 66% margin of the 7, so in his disconnected eyes he might see it as a value for the consumer.

Not that I don't believe the article, please provide the "value price" quote in full. Its just sloppy journalism to cut out the 2 key words and make a complete article out of it. You threw in other complete quotes and then when it came to the quote that the article revolves around, you give us nothing. I hate IPhones and I hate sloppy journalism. Please write better articles so I can concentrate on blasting Apple for their ridiculousness.

Tim Cook says the iPhone X's $999 cost is a "value price" <=== HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA what is this, Bizarro World?

"Value."

I will sooner buy two Titan XPs to play Counter-Strike at 1080p in SLI.

Back