Tizen Association drums up more support for their Android and iOS competitor

Shawn Knight

Staff member

samsung intel tizen android smartphone operating system mobile os

The Tizen Association has been able to drum up quite a bit of support for their upcoming open source Linux-based mobile operating system. In total, 36 companies have pledged support thus far including eBay, Konami, McAfee, Panasonic and The Weather Channel as announced during the Tizen Developer Summit this week in Korea.

Molded from the remnants of Intel and Nokia’s MeeGo project with a dose of Samsung’s Bada OS mixed in, the OS eventually looks to compete against Android and iOS in the lucrative mobile sector. As Trevor Cornwell from Appbackr put it, the appeal of Tizen has to do with its more efficient coding and the fact that it allows developers to code in CSS, HTML5 and Javascript.

NTT Docomo representative and Tizen Association board member Ryoichi Sugimura prefers the absence of application or feature mandates in the OS which will allow the carrier to customize smartphones with their own apps that are free of bloatware.

While Tizen is typically thought of as a smartphone and tablet operating system, Cornwell correctly points out that it could be beneficial in other connected devices as well. True enough, the association has also established its usefulness in other areas like netbooks (these still exist?), smart TVs and in-vehicle entertainment systems.

At present, only one device is available now that runs Tizen – the Samsung NX300 camera that hides the operating system behind a custom interface designed to look like previous camera UIs. Earlier this year, Samsung promised we would see multiple Tizen devices by the end of the year but thus far, nothing has materialized.

Permalink to story.

Arent HTML5 apps a lot more sluggish than native apps? Isnt that why Facebook ditched HTML5 for native on iOS?

Trying to bring another new mobile operating system to life feels kind of suicidal for me; I mean yes - there is room for improvement and innovation in the marketplace, as all of the big incumbents have their issues.

iOS has great default apps, but it's a closed sandbox with a high price of entry.
Android is fragmented, sluggish, and possibly not what "Mobile" needs.
Windows Mobile has a godawful UI
BB10 is sort of the swan song of a dying brand.

But the thing is, how well can Tizen really do? They're going to need a lot more than 36 companies onboard from the get-go to avoid being a disappointing situation of a desolate marketplace, and beyond that, they need to convince a lot of companies to develop for them. Sure, some partners have signed on but to be fair, who actually gives a **** about McAfee?

Android is fragmented, sluggish, and possibly not what "Mobile" needs.
Not sure how android is to "sluggish". HTC Desire HD, Nexus 4 and now Nexus 5 have been good smooth experiences for me. The only thing that I sometimes see from reviews is that the touch and scroll experience on iPhone is a little bit better, but hardly warranting branding a whole OS as sluggish. And the HTC One S my wife has is smooth and quick as well, again nothing sluggish about it. I think that often Android is called sluggish but then it isn't always run on the latest and greatest hardware. To be fair to Android I'm pretty sure that iOS 7 on older iPhones has been reported as being less than a smooth experience.

Back