TOCA won't run, TOCA2 not really - how to fix old games on new machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ungua

I went through the dusty parts of our house this weekend and found both TOCA and TOCA2, both of Codemasters. I remember the first game as an epic win, keeping me busy quite a lot as a teenager. When I bought TOCA2 my PC was not powerful enough for it. Now it should be, but here is what happens..:

TOCA: Doesn't start on Win32 or NT system. I have Win XP SP3, in itself nothing updated by far. Any way around that?

TOCA2: Starts, but I can only choose network options, and cannot host a game. So in effect I can adjust preferences all day, but I cannot race... Weird problem, eh?

The action is supposed to happen on a Dell XPS M1530 :)

Just Google around for some guides, you should be able to get both games to run on XP. I know for a fact that TOCA 2 will run because I've played it on PC before; it worked fine. There are probably a number of patches for each game on Codemasters' site or in the support forum. You may also need to do a little tweaking to get the game to work right, which is quite common for older games.

Btw if you really like the TOCA series, I would highly recommend GRID, which is also another great racing game by Codemasters.

I have done a little bit of googling, but so far none of the tips worked out (such as have the CD inserted to be able to play TOCA2). But I'll sure have another round now.

Actually, I have tried GRID. But I think it is a confusing collossus and over the years I have started to prefer more arcade games: Start the game > choose a car and track > drive. :)

...edit: The "compatibility tab" in "properties" fixed the TOCA-problem. Network only in TOCA2 is still a mystery to me.

Network only meaning you can't race locally, or single-player?

I thought GRID felt more arcade-like than TOCA, but it all depends on your driving style I suppose.

Yes, exactly that. In effect I cannot race at all.
Maybe I gave up on GRID too fast...? I loved the graphics, but I tried Burnout Paradise City at the same time, which managed to get me glued to the screen. Hadn't happened for years.

Well Burnout Paradise is in a class of its own if you ask me haha, that game just simply rocks.

As for TOCA, are you sure you don't have just a demo disk or something? It almost sounds like it's a network demo and doesn't include the local files. Does the game have two disks? Perhaps you installed just the second one... Are the options for localized play types grayed out or are they not available altogether?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back