Tom Tom has renamed my street

Ididmyc600

Today ive noticed that my tomtom has decided to rename the street I live on...

no honest its not a joke, for the last 2 yeatrs ive had it its shown the correct street name but this morning,,, well take a look at the pictures and see what it thinks the street name is now...

this isnt a photoshop by the way its real

any ideas why or how this can happen.?

(ps ive scrubbed the lats and longs etc)..

Attachments

• sat.jpg
    sat.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 10
  • SNC00206.jpg
    SNC00206.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 10
That's what you get for using a product that uses a nav database from TeleAtlas! ;) (just kidding),

Tom Tom bought TeleAtlas in 2007 as i recall.

IMHO: Next time you buy a nav product look for one using NAVTEQ maps (especially true for North American databases)

I know NAVTEQ also allows you to log database errors on their website (don't know about TeleAtlas). Even tho there's probably still long lag times between a database error getting logged to actually being pushed out to the field as an update.

In the meantime, best you can do is look for database updates as jobeard suggests

/* edit */
LOL.. and i just now actually looked at your images... ***** Street??? LOL

What Tom Tom device model are you using?

/* edit2 */
I'm going to guess your device either applies some form of real-time map updates? Or do you refresh your database with a map download to a flash card or directly to the device?

hi lads

its last update was just a couple of small files if i remember one was a gps fix and the other was the mapshare thing.

Thing is that was well over a month ago since that was done. its the tomtom 930 i have and its never been wrong in the year ive had it for.

to answer the questions

yes i could update the maps from a reliable source, thing is im happy with them the way they are and the old addage of "if it aint broke dont fix it" springs to mind.

I dont have a backup,,, i did but i sold my laptop and wiped the drive.,, however a friend has a backup as it is actually his satnav ( i just borrowed it as mine broke).

But i will connect it up to the pc later tonight and see if it sorts it out,, i have no idea how one single street can be renamed more wierdly with it being the one i live on.

I skimmed the device specs for your Tom Tom 930. TomTom's MapShare feature jumped out at me ( i actually happen to have developed software for the nav industry as well :) )

MapShare sounds like a "look aside" cache of database exceptions and updates that are applied to the underlying TeleAtlas map data. (And these updates come from users.. so depending on how TomTom implements it and how good their QA ("Quality Assurance") process is, a mischievous user might have been able to sneak "***** Street" into a MapShare cache update)

Don't update your TomTom/TeleAtlas database yet. Do you know if you can simply reset/clear the MapShare cache?

Hi

joebeard ive pm'd ya and sorted out my pm as well..thanks for the link

lookin around,,your idea is a possibility but its wierd that someone picks on my street alone and no where else..thats the wierd part

im gonna follow jobeards links and see where it takes me, if not i'll reconnect to tomtom and see if that sorts it out...

if theres anything else that i find out i'll update this thread

thanks lads

Hope you get it sorted out.

Just fyi.. you might refer to the TomTomn Go 930 Guide and look at the section on MapShare (it also includes directions for using MapShare to change street names)

by the way... you have any kids in your house???? with access to the TomTom 930? :D

/* edit2 */
pg 70 of the TomTom 930 User Guide has instructions to use MapShare to Edit Street Name
Check with the kids ;)

Hi Lookinaround

thanks for the instructions...

I have kids, and i think i have a suspect, mind you he wont admit to it,,could have been the wife maybe ...........

ive changed the street name as per the instructions (very helpful by the way thanks for digging them out) i'll connect it to tomtom home and see if it changes it again.

problem solved (although the mystery goes on)

EDIT

ive just interrogated the little blighter and under intense torture he admitted it,,, soddin smartarse ..so the mystery is solved...

thanks again for the input.

<snip>
ive just interrogated the little blighter and under intense torture he admitted it,,, soddin smartarse ..so the mystery is solved...

Hi Ididmyc600

LOL.. That's funny. And I'm impressed. Your son sounds pretty inquisitive and smart, as well, to have played with and figured out parts of TomTom's MapShare implementation!

As a technical footnote... an fyi of some things to look forward to and expect in the future as the nav market matures...

As the quality of map databases improve along with
> Improved infrastructure to broadcast real-time map updates and
> Improved "in-vehicle" computing evolves (expect to see "industrial strength" motherboards designed to run in a vehicle enviornment)

Nav systems will expand from today: where they simply provide a vehicle "convenience" feature to providing for both vehicle convenience and safety systems

Some examples
> Your car will be able to warn you (or even take control to slow you down) if it thinks you're going too fast for the road geometry ahead
> Forward looking In-vehicle radar will use map data to help it differentiate between an obstacle in the road ahead vs. a tree the radar is picking up simply because the road curves ahead

LOL.. That's funny. And I'm impressed. Your son sounds pretty inquisitive and smart, as well, to have played with and figured out parts of TomTom's MapShare implementation!

yeah this is the same kid (now 17) who took netnanny to pieces a week after i installed it on his pc as he didnt like being told where he could surf, oh and he also ran rings round all the security on the school computers and surfed where other kids couldnt..he does take after his dad.

Some examples
> Your car will be able to warn you (or even take control to slow you down) if it thinks you're going too fast for the road geometry ahead

Fook that for a game of darts, ive got some pretty good country roads near me that love having me drive round them at 80mph and the satnav just tells me the road layout..as far as im concerned thats all it should do,,, not interfere with my fun driving experience.

Oh yeah as you can guess,,, im the kind of guy that loves hammering it round country lanes as fast as possible, if your ever in north wales take the Tremerchion to Denbigh road and you'll see what i mean.

Fook that for a game of darts, ive got some pretty good country roads near me that love having me drive round them at 80mph and the satnav just tells me the road layout..as far as im concerned thats all it should do,,, not interfere with my fun driving experience.

i don't know whether or not the eventual production version of in-vehicle nav/safety systems will have an On/Off switch or not... but, if need be, sure sounds like your son should be able to hack it for you ;)

Back