Tomorrow's PlayStation 4 update will deliver a cornucopia of new features

Shawn Knight

Staff member

ps4 sony social update external storage playstation 4 yukimura sony playstation 4 ps4 update

Sony is pushing a major update for its PlayStation 4 tomorrow that’ll deliver what the company describes as an “onslaught” of features. Here’s everything you can expect to see with software version 2.50, codenamed “Yukimura.”

At the top of the list is support for suspend / resume, a feature that’s supported by almost every PS4 game and was promised many moons ago. Simple but very useful, this will allow gamers to jump in and out of play just by pressing the PS button.

The update will also allow users to back up and restore hard drive data to and from an external USB drive. If you’ve ever had a hard drive failure (in a console or even on a PC), you’re likely familiar with the importance of frequent backups.

Elsewhere, Sony is adding a treasure trove of social tools to its console. Soon, you’ll be able to find Facebook friends and join friends directly from the news feed. The update will also streamline the process of creating a party and sending a friend request in addition to making it easier to find friends that play the same games you do.

The PS4’s trophy system is getting spruced up with automatic trophy screenshots, the ability to share trophy information on social media, more sorting options and the ability to remove games from the trophy list that have zero percent completion.

Additionally, software revision 2.50 will introduce improved and expanded accessibility options, 60 FPS Remote Play and Share Play options on select games, automatic installation for system software updates, sub-account improvements, the ability to create verified accounts and the ability to upload video clips directly to Dailymotion using the Share button.

Permalink to story.

I thought the PS4 was all about gaming and any other features were just Xbox entertainment and social crap. So why would you want DNLA if the PS4 is supposed to be a machine just for gaming?

I thought the PS4 was all about gaming and any other features were just Xbox entertainment and social crap. So why would you want DNLA if the PS4 is supposed to be a machine just for gaming?

To be a machine just for gaming, a machine must have games.

But it does have games!

Albeit the exclusives have been mostly weak...

But Bloodborne is here!

Bloodborne isn't a system seller.

I couldn't disagree more.

Demon Souls, Dark Souls and considerably less so, Dark Souls 2 are my favorite games ever made.
So purchasing a ps4 to play bloodborne was never in question. I had to play Bloodborne.

I personally find the term system seller, hard to apply to this console gen. What with the lack of decent games but you cant determine yourself from your own opinion what can and cant sell systems. Its all personal preference my friend.

I couldn't disagree more.

Demon Souls, Dark Souls and considerably less so, Dark Souls 2 are my favorite games ever made.
So purchasing a ps4 to play bloodborne was never in question. I had to play Bloodborne.

I personally find the term system seller, hard to apply to this console gen. What with the lack of decent games but you cant determine yourself from your own opinion what can and cant sell systems. Its all personal preference my friend.

The term "system seller" refers to a game's broad appeal (overall sales demand), not the preferences of individual users. The Souls series has always been a niche franchise (hence the attempt for make DS2 more "accessible"). Bloodborne, enjoyable as it is for us Souls fans, isn't a title capable of propping up the PS4 for this very reason. Ergo, it isn't a system seller.

The only legitimate system seller I can think of this gen was Destiny (4.6 million units sold on PS4). It was a disappointment, but it certainly moved Playstations (and to a lesser extent Xboxes).

The term "system seller" refers to a game's broad appeal (overall sales demand), not the preferences of individual users. The Souls series has always been a niche franchise (hence the attempt for make DS2 more "accessible"). Bloodborne, enjoyable as it is for us Souls fans, isn't a title capable of propping up the PS4 for this very reason. Ergo, it isn't a system seller.

The only legitimate system seller I can think of this gen was Destiny (4.6 million units sold on PS4). It was a disappointment, but it certainly moved Playstations (and to a lesser extent Xboxes).

We just had a misunderstanding it seems.

I was using 'system seller' in the context of a person by person basis, not on a broad appeal to attract everyone. I thought you were implying that bloodborne alone isn't enough to warrant the purchase of the console, hence me saying its all personal preference.

I totally agree though with what your saying in that context. There certainly hasn't been anything close to hugely appealing games at the start of last gen such as Gear of War, Halo, Uncharted and so on.

Back