Top 5 AMD B350 Motherboards

I'm looking to upgrade my motherboard, RAM, and CPU sometime soon. I'm building it around my video card, an NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE. I would like to go Mini-ITX on my next build. I don't think I need a 370 board because I'm not doing multi-GPU. It seems to me a 350 would do nicely.

I was thinking I'd get a Fractal Design Nano S for the case.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Makes absolutely no sense not to include ASUS ROG Strix B350-F Gaming, when it is in every way better than Asus Prime B350-Plus. Better cooling, 8-phase cpu design, better audio, etc.

"Before wrapping things up please note that almost all B350 motherboards are designed and capable of safely powering an 8-core/16-thread Ryzen 7 CPU such as the 1800X."

You should check out Buildzoid's videos on B350, if you haven't already. B350 motherboards without heatsinks on the VRMs should not really be used with 8-core CPUs, no matter what the CPU support list says. Also overclocking 8-core CPUs on any B350 motherboard (maybe even 6-core CPUs on some) without extra attention to VRM cooling is generally a bad idea. This is because even when the VRM mosfets may be fine running at over 100 C, the capacitors right next to them can end up running hot enough to shorten their lifetime.

Makes absolutely no sense not to include ASUS ROG Strix B350-F Gaming, when it is in every way better than Asus Prime B350-Plus. Better cooling, 8-phase cpu design, better audio, etc.

This list is based on value. The ROG model is $50 US more expensive!

Edit: It's down to $130 on Newegg.com now, still don't think it's worth the price premium for someone after maximum bang for their buck...https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...OG_Strix_B350-F_Gaming-_-13-132-988-_-Product

Also it has the exact same 4 phase VRM as the Prime board we recommended ;)
It uses the same ASP1106GGQW controller, 4 phases with 4C09B highside MOSFET and two 4C06B lowside MOSFET. This is the exact same configuration as the Prime B350 Plus.

No clue why ASRock's AB350m Pro4 is barely mentioned as an aside here (strangely related to usb C rather than the extra x16 PCIe)- nothing compares and it goes on sale for $49.99 and is never more than $74.99

Crossfire, NVMe, and better cooling for $10 more than the rather drab top of the list here is a simple choice, especially given that it is still "ultra-cheap."

No clue why ASRock's AB350m Pro4 is barely mentioned as an aside here (strangely related to usb C rather than the extra x16 PCIe)- nothing compares and it goes on sale for $49.99 and is never more than $74.99

Crossfire, NVMe, and better cooling for $10 more than the rather drab top of the list here is a simple choice, especially given that it is still "ultra-cheap."

I've never seen it for $50 but that's beside the point any since it is very much a $75 motherboard. If you don't need the features mention you're better off with the plain AB350M. We made this pretty clear, so I'm not sure why you have no clue as to what our reasoning was for this choice.

I did a build this weekend with the ASUS ROG Strix B350-F and am happy with it. It has RGB but is very subtle - many boards have lots of RGB and some are only a single colour. Also it has 6 fan headers - 2 for CPU, 3 for chassis, 1 for AIO pump - and 6 SATA III headers. I haven't overclocked the CPU yet (Ryzen 5 1600) but I updated the BIOS and it took my G.Skill Ripjaws V to XMP (3200 CL14) straight away. My second choice board would have been the MSI Mortar Arctic as I was initially considering a black and white build.

I'm looking to upgrade my motherboard, RAM, and CPU sometime soon. I'm building it around my video card, an NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE. I would like to go Mini-ITX on my next build. I don't think I need a 370 board because I'm not doing multi-GPU. It seems to me a 350 would do nicely.

I was thinking I'd get a Fractal Design Nano S for the case.

I bought a Fractal Design Nano S on impulse, because it was available for $48. Didn't realize that my motherboard choices were so limited. LOL Still haven't decided which direction to go from there.

I would like to go Mini-ITX on my next build. I don't think I need a 370 board because I'm not doing multi-GPU. It seems to me a 350 would do nicely.

I initially wanted to do Mini ITX for the same reason - I only use 2 sticks of RAM and 1 GPU so why go bigger than ITX? But I was constrained by a serious lack of choice in the Mini ITX and Micro ATX motherboards. There were only 3 AM4 ITX motherboards and all seemed to have quality issues and limited USB support due to the physical size of the board. Also the lack of space on the board, mainly between the CPU socket and the RAM slots, but also to the GPU socket, was limiting my choice of CPU cooler (I don't use watercooling). And the ITX boards tend to have very few fan headers. Some only have 2 SATA III ports. For a case, I didn't want to go tiny and was happy with the NZXT Manta - but would have preferred if it supported Micro-ATX and had tempered glass. In the end, the constraints of ITX forced me to look to a larger size board and case (I briefly considered the Phanteks Evolv MATX TG case) and I ended up getting the Phanteks Pro M TG (ATX). My AMD Mini ITX build can wait.
EDIT: Also, yes, an ITX case needs a blower style or water cooled GPU and I didn't like my choices there so I decided to go for an open air cooler on the GPU which required a larger case with more space and airflow.

Last edited:
Really? The best Overclocking motherboard is a MSI?
They have been so inconsistent with their bios and not to mention their boards are really not the best built for overclocking.
The Asrock B350 Fatal1ty is regarded by many as the overclock mobo to get, if you are in a budget and cant afford a X370.

Yep the asrock looks to be the best of itx boards , I ike the look and the upgraded sound (alc1220). All intel network stuff helps too. Now ,about HDMi 2.0 ?? esp when outputting to a TV

This pick was a toss up between the Asus Prime B350-Plus and Gigabyte's AB350-Gaming 3. We have both boards and like each of them very much so picking between the two was difficult. User reviews seem to lean towards the Gigabyte board, but considering the boards in their current form with the latest BIOS we prefer the Asus model so that's what we're going with. It's a great overclocker and we've used it to extract the most performance possible out of all our Ryzen CPUs.
Also to note, I built an Ryzen 5 2600 machine recently with a Gaming-3 board. Even though support for the 2nd gen Ryzen CPUs has been in the boards bios for about a year the board still came with an ancient bios. I ended up having to get another 1st Gen Ryzen CPU to perform a bios update to run the 2600 in it. Now have to sell the other CPU second hand making this board choice even more expensive.

Back