Top chess grandmaster admits he cheated in tournament by using smartphone

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Smartphones have brought us many things: the world’s information at our fingertips, an easy way to communicate and connect with people, and, it seems, the ability to cheat at competitive chess games.

Igors Rausis, a 58-year-old Latvian-Czech player who won the title of grandmaster back in 1992, has been suspended by the International Chess Federation after he was “caught red-handed using his phone during a game.”

While playing a tournament game in Strasbourg, France, Rausis took a bathroom break. Afterwards, a smartphone was discovered in the cubicle, and he later signed a declaration confirming it was his. The Times printed a picture that supposedly shows Rausis using chess software while sitting on a closed-lid toilet during his break.

Rausis has admitted to the cheating, telling Chess.com that “I simply lost my mind yesterday. I confirmed the fact of using my phone during the game by written [statement].”

“At least what I committed yesterday is a good lesson, not for me—I played my last game of chess already. “

While the World Chess Federation’s (FIDE) Fair Play Commission Secretary, Yuri Garrett, said Rausis voluntarily withdrew from the tournament, the organization’s director general, Emil Sutovsky, said he had been suspended from the competition.

Rausis had been under suspicion for some time, particularly as his FIDE rating had jumped almost 200 points over the last seven years after been stuck at around 2500 for a decade.

Surprisingly, this isn’t the first case of a chess grandmaster using a smartphone to cheat. Georgian player Gaioz Nigalidze was also banned from a 2015 tournament when his phone, which was logged into his Facebook account, was found in a toilet cubicle. He had been running a chess app that was mirroring his current game. Nigalidze was banned for three years and stripped of his grandmaster title.

Permalink to story.

The bigger question to me is that privacy is being violated...

Seriously, I get this guy cheated but how does anyone else excuse the fact someone was trying to take a photo of this guy who could of legitimately been taking a crap? I don't care if he was or wasn't, punish the peeping Tom!
Exactly, that photo is evidence of a crime. The person taking it needs jail time. If it was a camera mounted in the facility it becomes a felony for the admin who authorized it.

This is a serious crime no matter the circumstances.

I love how every comment is hung up on the "alleged" photo of the guy on the crapper looking at his phone. It's like, never mind the fact he cheated, we must find the person who took that photo and skin him alive for it!

Its obviously a dilemma finding the balance between privacy and security, or in this case, ensuring fairness in the game. The end certainly doesn't justify the means here, but it's incidents like this (where the guy was actually caught by this means) that leads to implementation of more restrictive and invasive measures which inconvenience the law abiding majority...

I love how every comment is hung up on the "alleged" photo of the guy on the crapper looking at his phone. It's like, never mind the fact he cheated, we must find the person who took that photo and skin him alive for it!
Yes. Especially since the guy obviously does not have his pants down, and, not to mention, the toilet seat cover is closed.

In cases like this, maybe they should ban the contestants from having cell phones in the competition hall up to and including search and seizure. If there were an emergency, the contest officials could easily be notified and, in turn, pass along that information to the contestants. That's how it worked before cell phones became ubiquitous.

This guy is a cheat, plain and simple. If he were doing his dirt, I am willing to bet that any such photo of him taking a crap would never have been released and likely would have been deleted - immediately.

I understand that chest master was cheating using his cell phone, but there is no excuse to have installed a video camera in the washroom..Its criminal offence of voyeurism to record people in the washroom.

Has anyone considered that if they personally weren't in a chess tournament, in the middle of a championship game, that nobody would give enough of a crap about them, to crap around at taking a picture of them taking a crap?

Back