Top Gear will return in May 2016 without Clarkson, Hammond and May

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A physical altercation in March involving Jeremy Clarkson, presenter of the immensely popular motoring show Top Gear, and producer Oisin Tymon ultimately led to his release. Fellow co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May also parted ways with the show, leading to speculation that the show’s long run had come to an end.

That assumption ultimately proved inaccurate as we later learned that Chris Evans would host the world’s most popular factual television program moving forward.

In a recent interview with the BBC show Saturday Kitchen, Evans said the first episode of the next series would air on May 5. It’s not yet clear who his co-presenters will be (if any) although Evans did say they’d be heading to the US to make their first inter-continental special in January.

Producers have already started working on what will be a 16-episode series for the reincarnated Top Gear.

Fans of the show (or more accurately, its trio of former presenters) have plenty to look forward to as Clarkson, Hammond and May inked a three-season deal this past summer to produce a motoring show for Amazon. Shooting for the as-yet-named show got under way last month and is expected to debut by the middle of next year.

Clarkson tweeted a teaser image of the crew’s first day of filming on October 7 and as you can see, it appears as though fans will finally be treated to the promised hypercar showdown featuring the Ferrari LaFerrari, the McLaren P1 and the Porsche 918 Spyder.

Permalink to story.

Good for them. Clarkson fully owned his drunken rant and by some accounts offered substantial restitution out of court. Let's be honest: part of what made him appealing was the fact that he *was* a bit of an ape. Despite their constant ripping on each other largely for comedic effect, those three really were playing themselves. I doubt we'll see that sort of authenticity from TV hosts again until the poison of political correctness is finally expunged from society.

I've never even heard of Chris Evans.

"...it appears as though fans will finally be treated to the promised hypercar showdown featuring the Ferrari LaFerrari, the McLaren P1 and the Porsche 918 Spyder."

YES!!!

The trio is the Top Gear, the Top Gear is that trio.

Taking a bullet out of gun and putting in empty-shell Chris Evans, let's see how that rolls!

It took the team of three unique characters to create it the first time: a genuine a$$hole + captain slow + mr. Frodo. Nobody can repeat their success, nevermind a solo TV presenter who is completely unknown outside the UK.

I really hope the Amazon show owns the new top gear. Those 3 guys made that show and I'm tired of producers and guys in suits thinking they can do it without. We the public will get the final say!

I loathe to use the term 'chemistry' to describe the show however, hitting on a trio of personalities that worked so well together, had such an innate sense of timing and played so very well to the humor is exceedingly rare.
I think what many people do not realize is/was that Top Gear was not a 'car show' it was a celebration of what , where, and how they could take us to virtually anywhere. It was also a celebration of internal (and sometimes external) combustion and the rare and beautiful places around the world it can take us. The actual gorgeous and exotic autos they presented had less to do with the show than did the personalities who became child like (not childish) once behind the wheel.
If History is any indicator and almost always is, They will make the same mistake that other countries have made in attempting to craft a Top Gear for their flag and make a car show that is about cars...and it will inevitably fail for that reason.

Producer of top gear, who is also a good friend of clarkson, also left "Top gear" to work with the trio for the amazon show. I really hope this show to be as good as Top gear.

Dear BBC , tough shizzles. I got rid of my tv licence and tv. Your producer and lack of a hot meal for a working person isn't enough to convince me an immature ginger nut can continue the greatest car program ever made. And with ww3 comming up, you never will top that !! Lol , you stupid greedy twats. From, someone who You have lost for good.

"Producers have already started working on what will be a 16-episode series for the reincarnated Top Gear."
They (the BBC money-givers) really want to show us how they hated the old trio. 16-part series is the longest season of a current TG format. Unless this will be completely different from (now old) TG. I just hope they do not throw in all the good ideas in that new season, ideas that could potentially make this "new" show interesting for years. And I hope they did not use any writing leftovers from Clarkson and Wilman, as this could mean we would look at a very similar shows in 2016

I honestly don't know if the level of entertainment provided by TG will ever return, even if it is the same group of guys. This should be interesting...

I have to agree, having been a top gear fan for many many years one of the appeals of the show was Jezza, hamster and may. The show was so popular that there was over a decade waiting list for tickets (tickets were free, just register 50/50 split men/woman). I am already a prime subscriber (just for the next day delivery really) but I will deffo be watching their new show next year.

I may give the new show a try, I am not a super great fan of Chris Evans but I did used to watch him fine on shows like big breakfast and TFI Friday, it's just the show wont be the same and will feel more like 5th Gear or something?

Back