Toshiba demonstrates prototype cameras for Project Ara modular smartphone

Shawn Knight

Staff member

toshiba shows camera module prototypes google project ara phone toshiba smartphone camera prototype modular camera module phonebloks smartphone camera project ara modular smartphone

Google’s modular smartphone platform is slowly taking shape. Toshiba, one of the third-party companies working to develop modules for Project Ara, recently showed off two prototype camera components for the ecosystem.

The cameras on display include a 2-megapixel module for the front of the device as well as 5-megapixel and 13-megapixel shooters for the rear. I do wonder, however, if a user could add the 13-megapixel module to the front of the handset if they wanted.

toshiba shows camera module prototypes google project ara phone toshiba smartphone camera prototype modular camera module phonebloks smartphone camera project ara modular smartphone

Like most of Project Ara’s modules, the cameras in question are self-contained blocks that attach to the base handset. By simply swapping out camera modules, users will be able to improve the quality of their images – or elect to go without a camera altogether to free up room for a larger battery or other desirable components.

Shardul Kazi, senior vice president of Toshiba America, said they’ve been working with Project Ara for more than a year now.

On Toshiba’s website, I found solutions for several other module types such as a Media Bar module, Transferjet module, Wi-Fi module, a display module, a solution for wireless communications module and a solution for activity measuring module.

In January, Google revealed that it plans to launch a pilot program for Project Ara later this year in Puerto Rico. At that time, Google said it had developed 11 modules for the platform.

A full-scale rollout is expected sometime in 2016.

Permalink to story.

I'm still excited about this module based phone, but my one question is if you drop it will all the modules go flying?

I don't really see how someone could make a protective case for it since people could put the camera almost anywhere.

Food for thought.

I'm still excited about this module based phone, but my one question is if you drop it will all the modules go flying?

I don't really see how someone could make a protective case for it since people could put the camera almost anywhere.

Food for thought.
Well if we have modular parts, why can't we also have modular cases ;). Maybe they will create a case maker where you can create the case with respect to your modules.

Back