Toshiba laptop L555D-S7005 black screen on boot

Hello Everyone,

I am new here, and I did some searching, but can't seem to find the exact same problem else where. So I figured someone here might be able to help or direct me to a solution. I am already to the point that I think the computer needs a Computer Clinic or Repair, but I wanna give you all a shot first.

Okay on to the problem. Last night the computer was working just fine. I shut the computer down like always every night. When I turned it on a little while later the computer stopped on the Toshiba Start up screen and from my guess froze. I then hit the power button to do a hard boot, and then turned it back on. At the same screen the computer made squares of 4 red lines all over the screen then went black. Once again I turned it off, and restarted. Now nothing comes on the screen stays black and on the LED lights I get the first three which I believe is AC/ON/BATTERY. The fourth LED which is the CPU I think doesn't do anything. After a time the computer becomes hot, and I shut it off. I did this once or twice.

Does anyone have a solution for this besides the obvious send it in for repair. The main reason I don't is because its out of warranty. Thanks.

Todd

Ok first we need to test the video card to see if its still working.

Take a Desktop Monitor and use a VGA /HDMI/DVI cable to connect it to the monitor.
Turn on the laptop

Now usually you would have to use the Fn key at the same time as i think is the 3 or the F3 key in order to switch it to the monitor. It will look like 2 boxes right next to each other one colored in. If not then i should do it automatically.

If it works on the computer monitor then I think you have a motherboard issue.

@Route44

Thank you for the suggestion. When I get back to the house to where the laptop is I will try that. And thank you for the information about the Toshiba Forum. I will indeed post the problem on that forum as well, and wait.

@HiDDeNMisT

I did try the external monitor in hopes that it might work, but when I did I still got a black screen. Although I didn't know about using FN key and F3 or 3 to switch over to the external monitor. I will also try that when I get to the house. If those don't work then I will wager that the video card in the laptop is bad.

Now my next questions is if it is the video card on the laptop. How hard is it to remove and replace a laptop video card? I have only built desktop computers and not laptops. Thank you all again.

Hi,

The main cause for the Black Screen of Death error on your Toshiba Satellite Series laptop might be the errors with the video adapter used on your laptop.

You can fix the issue by rebooting the laptop in the Safe Mode.

This will run the laptop without using the damaged driver and show the problems with it.

If the laptop works properly in the Safe Mode, you can uninstall the video driver on your laptop to get away from the issues.

You can use ‘Device Manager’ of the laptop for this purpose, as it brings up a list of all the currently available drivers as well as devices on your laptop.

Back