Toshiba laptop turning off but OK when in safe mode.

Hodsocks

I am working on a Toshiba L750 laptop with Windows 7, it was booting to the desktop for a few seconds and then turning off, if I boot into safe mode it works fine. Thinking it was software related I am in the process of reloading the software using the recovery partition software but it seems to be now doing the same now it loading the various programs on top of windows.
Any suggestions gladly received.

I would suspect the graphic card driver, or that the screen resolution is set too high.
Safe mode boots the pc with the minimum, but working MS drivers.
You could try safe mode, then device manager, and uninstall the graphic card driver. Then do a normal boot .
Windows should fall back to a reliable MS driver running in SVGA mode, or just above that. It should be stable.
I would also run 'sfc /scannow', to try to correct any simple Windows O/S problems.
Best source for the drivers would be Toshiba's site.
( Of course it could also be overheating but not if it's fine in safe mode.)

Last edited:
After completing the installation it seems to be working fine now, although on one reboot it carried out a disc check and found lots of errors, I ran seatools suspecting a hard drive issue but it passed all tests. So at the moment it seems to be working fine.

Hi, I am having the exact same problem now zz
I have cleaned out the CPU/Heatsink etc and I have re-installed Windows 7 did you find a solution?

Back