Toshiba's 8-inch Windows 8.1 tablet packs Bay Trail CPU for $330

Scorpus

Staff member
Toshiba has announced their first 8-inch Windows tablet at IFA 2013, the Encore, which manages to beat Acer's Iconia Tab W3-810 in both the price and specifications department. A standout feature of this tablet is the inclusion of a brand...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/53898-toshibas-8-inch-windows-81-tablet-packs-bay-trail-cpu-for-330.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

G

How does it do 2 Modern apps at once I thought the display has to be 1366 to do that?

Skidmarksdeluxe

So why anybody would be prepared to hemorrhage $800-$900 on a Windows Surface Pro tablet is beyond me. It's no wonder they had to write off $900 mil recently.

treeski

How does it do 2 Modern apps at once I thought the display has to be 1366 to do that?
I believe the restrictions were removed or relaxed for Windows 8.1 (also why, in the image, the snapped apps each get 50% of the screen).

treeski

So why anybody would be prepared to hemorrhage $800-$900 on a Windows Surface Pro tablet is beyond me. It's no wonder they had to write off $900 mil recently.
Personally, I think the Surface Pro becomes a much more desirable device with Haswell and a more refined body (e.g., the kickstand), even in the $800 range.

cliffordcooley

Personally, I think the Surface Pro becomes a much more desirable device with Haswell and a more refined body (e.g., the kickstand), even in the $800 range.
I'm not sure about the refined body, but Haswell i5 would make $800(US) for Surface Pro appealing. I only wish Windows 8 was cosmetically just as appealing to me.

Skidmarksdeluxe

It may be worth a bit more but never 2.5x more. Remember overspending on tech is a mugs game, you can never win.

Skidmarksdeluxe

I'm not sure about the refined body, but Haswell i5 would make $800(US) for Surface Pro appealing. I only wish Windows 8 was cosmetically just as appealing to me.
It's all about taste. I find Win 8 on mobile devices far more appealing than Android, it's the desktop version that gets me down.

G

"which manages to beat Acer's Iconia Tab W3-810 in both the price and specifications department", but not on the OS

If it was Windows 7 with touch, it would be better. Icons, not tiles! Start menu, not tiles!
Leave it the way it was, not tiles!

IAMTHESTIG

This is full Windows? Not the RT nonsense? If so this looks like a very good small to midsize tablet option for Windows users. The price point is more in line with what people are willing to pay for a tablet as well. I like the Surface Pro, but it is expensive. The Surface Pro 2 looks like it will be good too but with a price so high its even more in a niche market.