Toshiba's 8-inch Windows 8.1 tablet packs Bay Trail CPU for $330

Scorpus

Staff member

Toshiba has announced their first 8-inch Windows tablet at IFA 2013, the Encore, which manages to beat Acer's Iconia Tab W3-810 in both the price and specifications department. A standout feature of this tablet is the inclusion of a brand new Intel 'Bay Trail' Atom processor, which signals the beginning of the tablet market finally shifting away from the aging 'Clover Trail' CPU.

Intel hasn't formally unveiled their Bay Trail CPUs yet - that's expected to occur at the Intel Developer Forum next week - but we're expecting a quad-core Silvermont-based CPU clocked at 1.5 GHz or above, alongside a seventh-generation Intel GPU based on the tech seen in their Ivy Bridge chips. All of this will be packed onto the one die, produced using the 22nm process.

As well as the Bay Trail CPU, the Encore includes a 1280 x 800 display, which is standard for this tablet size but not overly impressive, as well as 32 GB of built-in storage expandable through a microSD card slot. Connectivity wise the tablet is packed with dual-band Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, GPS, Bluetooth, and a micro-HDMI port.

Toshiba has reportedly worked closely with Microsoft in producing the Encore, to make sure its dual microphones and 2-megapixel front camera are Skype-certified. There's also an 8-megapixel rear camera on the Encore, and the entire device is 10.68mm thick, weighing 479 grams.

The Toshiba Encore will come loaded with Windows 8.1 and a full copy of Microsoft Office Home & Student 2013 when it ships in November for $330.

Permalink to story.

How does it do 2 Modern apps at once I thought the display has to be 1366 to do that?

So why anybody would be prepared to hemorrhage $800-$900 on a Windows Surface Pro tablet is beyond me. It's no wonder they had to write off $900 mil recently.

How does it do 2 Modern apps at once I thought the display has to be 1366 to do that?

I believe the restrictions were removed or relaxed for Windows 8.1 (also why, in the image, the snapped apps each get 50% of the screen).

So why anybody would be prepared to hemorrhage $800-$900 on a Windows Surface Pro tablet is beyond me. It's no wonder they had to write off $900 mil recently.

Personally, I think the Surface Pro becomes a much more desirable device with Haswell and a more refined body (e.g., the kickstand), even in the $800 range.

Personally, I think the Surface Pro becomes a much more desirable device with Haswell and a more refined body (e.g., the kickstand), even in the $800 range.
I'm not sure about the refined body, but Haswell i5 would make $800(US) for Surface Pro appealing. I only wish Windows 8 was cosmetically just as appealing to me.

It may be worth a bit more but never 2.5x more. Remember overspending on tech is a mugs game, you can never win.

I'm not sure about the refined body, but Haswell i5 would make $800(US) for Surface Pro appealing. I only wish Windows 8 was cosmetically just as appealing to me.

It's all about taste. I find Win 8 on mobile devices far more appealing than Android, it's the desktop version that gets me down.

"which manages to beat Acer's Iconia Tab W3-810 in both the price and specifications department", but not on the OS

If it was Windows 7 with touch, it would be better. Icons, not tiles! Start menu, not tiles!
Leave it the way it was, not tiles!

This is full Windows? Not the RT nonsense? If so this looks like a very good small to midsize tablet option for Windows users. The price point is more in line with what people are willing to pay for a tablet as well. I like the Surface Pro, but it is expensive. The Surface Pro 2 looks like it will be good too but with a price so high its even more in a niche market.

Back