Total War: Three Kingdoms Review

Julio Franco

Staff member
Its pretty good but it just has not captured my attention like Shogun II. To be fair I have not completed a campaign yet in Three Kingdoms so I have not reached a final verdict.

It's a fantastic game. I bought it on release and haven't regretted it yet. Finished my first campaign as Liu Bei after 40 hours, and couldn't be more pleased with the value I got -- and there's still a ton of unique factions to try.

I was really disappointed with Rome 2, but this definitely sounds like TW is back to its best.

/looks at wallet...

Waiting for Totalwar: Warhammer 3. Sorry, once I got used to all that fantastical unit variety...there's no going back to men with spears fighting other men with spears to "oh look I get to fight more men with spears"! All the bloody units look the same and battles get repetitive.

I'm ready for Total War: Lord of the Rings, Total War: Interstellar Warfare, Total War: Marvel Comics Universe, Total War: Star Wars, Total War: Star Trek, hell... Total War: Avatar. I respect Chinese history, but I agree with others. This one doesn't "jazz" me for some reason. Can't put my finger on it.

I found Three Kingdoms to be a nice balance of Warhammer-like over the top battles and historical gameplay due to the way generals function in Romance mode: they're essentially just like they were in Warhammer. Powerful, single-unit guys or gals that can take on dozens of enemies single-handedly.

That said, I respect why some don't care for it. I too will be eagerly waiting for Warhammer 3.

Hands down the most boring in the series alongside the abysmal Britania. Should be called Clone Armies: Total War.

Even MTW1 was more fun.

Waiting for Totalwar: Warhammer 3. Sorry, once I got used to all that fantastical unit variety...there's no going back to men with spears fighting other men with spears to "oh look I get to fight more men with spears"! All the bloody units look the same and battles get repetitive.

That variety is not unique to the Warhammer iterations; Rome 1, MTW1&2, Empire, Attila, even the reviled Rome 2 had far more unit diversification. Flamethrowers, cannon toting elephants, headhurlers, burning hogs, gladiators, night raiders, temple assassins to name a few. 3K TW plays like every faction is a relatively carbon copy army wise.

Back