Totally dead or is there hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PC was working normally, suddenly put itself into hibernation. Switched back on, it started to boot, turned itself off . Suddenly switched self on and off again. This happens sporadically unless power is off. It responds to the on switch but how long it stayed on was a lottery. At first it would start boot more often than not, and sometimes it even got as far as windows – I thought it had fixed itself when it was okay for almost a day, but eventually I got the hibernation screen/action again.

When I opened the case and removed the generations of dust bunnies that were congregated on and around the fan (clearly only needing a Frankenstein-boost into sentient life) I was actually surprised it had worked at all. I was even more surprised when foiling this dynastic bid seemed to have no effect on the problem at all. The fan is now clean, quiet and fast.

The computer is not. It starts, stays on long enough for everything to sound as if it’s really going to work, doesn’t get as far as boot, and dies. Is it a mobo problem? Current one is a replacement after a complete death 3 years ago - nothing like this.

NB: Not technically minded. I know how to put in/take out HD and memory but that’s about it. I’d just like some indication of what it might be (and if it’s something obvious and fixable) before I take it to the repair shop/prepare it for burial.

Thanks in advance!

CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) @ 2.70GHz
Motherboard: Prescott 800 dual channel
RAM: DDR 256 (installed) + 1024 (3 months ago)
GPU: Intel Extreme Graphics 3D AGP
PSU: Macron 350

I would try either getting the power supply tested or replacing it first before replacing a motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back