Touch Screen Desktop Monitors A Good Idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimShady23

I was walking through Best Buy the other day and noticed somthing that I havnt seen before or paid much attention to so if this is somthing that has been discussed before then pardon me.
HP has a few systems out that ship with touch screen monitors.

Do you think that this is somthing that can become a norm in desktop computing ? I personally think that it is cool, but as far as functuality goes there is really not a point. The monitors that I played with where really kind of had a touchy touch interface and it really didnt seem as I could do anything faster with my finger on the screen than I could do with a mouse. In my opinion,mouse control was probably twice as fast.

The only real application that I could see a touch desktop monitor used for is hands on applications for children such as paint and a few games designed around the concept or for somone that has a disability that does not let them grip a mouse functionally.

Touch panals do have their place in industry as it makes very quick work for bar tenders to select a inventoried item or any retailer/resturant for that matter or for such things as time clocks at factories so I am for it in that aspect.

I guess I just wanted some views and insight on what everyone thinks of this new concept to desktop computing and what pros and uses you can come up with.

Thanks

Hi

In the EPOS industry touch screens are standard and work best as they eliminate the keyboard which is a weak point in security, as users like to press buttons and those who are savvy can use the keyboard to do things that we as a supplier dont want them to do.

As for home use i cant see the practicality of them, no left click to start with, like you said unless someone builds a program designed and workable for a touch screen then its a no starter.

Useless for home. Why move your entire arm to do things when you can move 1 finger or slightly move your wrist?

The amusing thing is this is one of the big features hyped by people talking about Windows 7.

Windoze 7 good lord they just gave us one of the worst OS's ever developed in the shape of Vista and now they are trying to peddle yet another one on us.

Time to learn Linux and move over.

Yes, for general use I also don't see the need or advantage of a touch screen. I imagine your arms might get a bit tired after a long time at the monitor, more so than just using a keyboard and mouse.

I also, found it curious that Microsoft was touting the touch screen feature of Windows 7. I mean it's okay for certain applications as already mentioned but is it the next great thing? I don't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back