TP-Link Router not giving 150 Mbps

Status
Not open for further replies.

morland

Hi,

Details:
1. Using XP Pro SP3 (32-bit)
2. Laptop = Sony VAIO VGN-FZ140E
3. Recently purchased a TP-Link Router (TL-WR740N) which claims to give 150 Mbps speed

The Problem:
When connected, my Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN shows a speed of only 65 Mbps . A friend came over with his laptop (having Windows 7) and was able to get 150 Mbps speed.

Can someone please help me fix the problem so that I can also get the same speed. Do I need to upgrade the driver? If so how and from where? Or maybe the solution is much simpler? Please help. Will be very thankful.

Measured by 65MBps correct for you. The range varies. Could be 120mbps or 130mbps. If the router is one of those N150 they're really enhanced G in N mode. Kind of confusing but the chipset is suppose to 150mbps but actually speed would be 1/2 that 65-75mbps. Don't go by Link Speed it's Quality of that counts. 300Mbps 802.11n is 120-150mbps. But it can go lower to 65mbps. Again varies.

Hmmm.... i guess I should give up on this one then. I do appreciate your reply tipstir :) Acually I have been doing so much homework and gathering details over the last 1 day for this and your reply comes both as appeasing and yet :(

Regards (and thanks again).

Run this freeware program on your wireless system and see how well the tp-link i performing with the wireless signal. Program is called Insssider

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

What to focus on is 1. RSSI & 2. Speed

Note: This software can detect all wireless in your area beside your own network. What you need to do also is to isolate your wireless network just by unchecking their network readings in this software. Very easy. Once done, now you can measure the wireless signal for a couple of hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back