Transfer OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe you may be after an imaging software, such as:
Norton Ghost (I use this one)
Acronis True Image (most users like this one)
Drive Image (Basically an alternative)
DriveImage XML (This one is free!)
MaxBlast (I haven't used this, but it's free)

Imaging: Backs up your entire system, including Windows and data, plus your partition as well. The image can be stored on removable media, such as DVD. And usually takes under an hour (depending on size of image) to fully recover from a blank HardDrive.

Note: You cannot create an image and then install it on another computer with a different chipset (or drivers) Imaging is intended for recovery to the same computer it was made from (ie internal HardDrive replacement)

ok those sound good. All i want to do is transfer XP OS itsself to SATA hard drive on another computer. NO personal files or drivers just the OS. I don't want to have to buy xp again just to use my custom built rig. So will those applications do that or is it possible?

One more stupid question from me. :D can i take my current HD and install it on my custom built computer? (Same Hard Drive)

Yes, as far as the hardware is concerned but you can't legally use the same copy of Windows XP on the new PC unless it is a Retail copy (not OEM).

OH ok. Well about 3 years ago my parents bought me a computer that came with win xp. Untill i can get some money and get a new hard drive and visa i was just going to transfer this hdd to me "rig".

No - not legally - if it is used with another computer. If it is the same computer, you can CLONE the drive and all the contents.

If you reuse the OS on another system, you will have to reinstall it so it can configure and load the appropriate drivers for the new system, then you will have to call M$ to get a new license key. Before you do that, you will have to uninstall it off the old system.

Ok well putting the "legal" issue aside. My computer only has back up cd's. The OS came with the computer. I am only going to use the HDD with the old os in my new computer for about 5 days untill my new HDD and OS come. So will i be able to put HDD in new computer for time being?
NOTE:This will not be permenent by any means.

It's not plug and play. Using the hard drive with the different motherboard requires a Windows repair or reinstallation.

Here is a Windows repair guide you might find useful: Click here. Keep in mind there is no guarantee the repair will work. If it doesn't, you will have to do a full reinstallation of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back