Transferring settings/applications to clean XP install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qmd

Hi - have never had any success in installing XP onto a sata drive (have tried on two different rigs with 2 different mobo driver disks, dunno why they didn't work) but am planning on trying again sometime soon. However I am wondering if there is a way to transfer not only your settings to the new install, but also installed apps. Basicly the reason I'm wondering this is because I have a load of stuff that has been installed for years that I probably no longer have the registration codes for and would like to avoid losing them/having to re-purchase them.

Why are you re-installing?
You should create an image of your HDD using Acronis and transfer everything to your new HDD as it was before.
You can also use the "file settings and transfer wizard" if you prefer.

Just to add to what Strategic wrote, Acronis True Image has a disk drive copy feature. It uses disk imaging so it will be everything that gets transfered. So no need to install Windows or any programs, everything from the original drive is imaged to the new drive. I've done this many times for customers. Easy tool to use and works beautifully!

http://www.acronis.com

-- Andy

Cheers! will do that then. strangely there is another related topic that has just come up - I'm going to be upgrading my wifes PC in the near future, and will no doubt have to do a fresh install of XP since I am replacing several components including the motherboard (moving from an Abit AN8 Ultra to Asus M4N78 if that makes any difference). So basicly the same question I guess but in the case that I do have to do a clean install.

edit: also forgot to add is there a way to install mobo Sata drivers after windows is installed - i.e. if I want to use acronis to copy my IDE boot drive to a SATA drive I'll have to get the mobo to accept a SATA boot drive, and would rather use SATA drivers than have to set the BIOS to IDE emulation.

hope that makes some kind of sense - am running on caffiene atm

edit: also forgot to add is there a way to install mobo Sata drivers after windows is installed - i.e. if I want to use acronis to copy my IDE boot drive to a SATA drive I'll have to get the mobo to accept a SATA boot drive, and would rather use SATA drivers than have to set the BIOS to IDE emulation.

hope that makes some kind of sense - am running on caffiene atm

qmd,

That is a ver y good question as I have yet to encounter it. I would think you initially set the BIOS to compatibility mode so it will access either IDE or SATA. After the swap, then try SATA mode and see if it works.

I'm curious to see what happens. Please repost with results.

-- Andy

well just to let you all know I have the SATA running as boot, but only in ide emulation. so far no luck getting further than that - will le tyou know if I ever do get further.

If it might also help, here's a checklist to help smooth the reinstall process
  1. Make sure you have your Windows install CDs
    > If your install CDs are SP1 or SP2 CDs, you might find it useful to first build an SP3 installation CD
    > The process (called "slipstreaming" is pretty straightforward) and can save you time for all future reinstalls as you're installing SP3. Click here
  2. Review Add/Remove Programs. Make sure you have activiation codes for any purchased software.
    > You can recover your Windows product IDs from your current installation using Magic Jelly Bean tool
  3. Note programs you need to reinstall. Check if they're available for download online or you still have their download CDs
  4. Backup all your personal files/folders
  5. Use DriverMax to backup all your drivers (so they are available if needed after the reinstall)
Reformat and reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back