Travel back in time with this new Google Maps Street View feature

Shawn Knight

Staff member

travel google maps street view street view google maps

A new Google Maps Street View feature allows users to turn back the clock and get a look at areas as they stood years ago. It’s not quite as good as having a time machine as you can only view images dating back to 2007 but even still, there’s plenty to keep you entertained until we figure out real time travel.

The feature is only available on the desktop version of Google Maps for now – probably a good thing as some mobile users would no doubt mistake past imagery as present-day views.

So, what else is there to check out after you’ve grown tired of looking through your own city?

Google offers up plenty of suggestions in a blog post on the matter. For example, you can check out the construction progress on the Freedom Tower in New York City or the 2014 World Cup Stadium in Fortaleza, Brazil. The search giant also notes the feature can serve as a digital timeline of recent history such as the cleanup and rebuilding following the 2011 earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

Always had a passion for traveling to another country but not sure what time of year would be best for your visit? The new feature can help with that as well.

Simply look for a clock icon in the upper left-hand portion of a Street View image to get started. Use the slider to travel back through time and click on a thumbnail to see the same place in previous years or seasons.

Permalink to story.

>>From the hard science novel "Memories with Maya" ..."The imagery was replaced by a street I recognized immediately as Mumbai.

“Care to enlighten me more?” I asked. I couldn't help turning around and seeing so many people walking past me, It was almost claustrophobic. Over the sound of horns and street children playing, he explained. “I was with Satish and he had these ideas for enhancing the Wizer's visuals. You know how the environment artists are,” he said.

“So it's mapping video texture over the live geometry. Cool,” I said.
“Yeah, the breakthrough is I can freeze a frame… freeze real life as it were, step out of the scene and study it.”
----------

Back