Tried to upgrade from xp home to xp pro sp2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am now stuck at the installing devices - setup will complete in 34 minutes. Has been there for well over an hour or two.Have tried to interupt or cancel the setup but the system always goes back to this point. Some postings said you have to restart at least 3 additional times. I have tried that and the computer goes back to the setup screen everytime. Have tried the safemode, the last known good startup ect.and it always goes back to the setup screen. When I take out the cd and restart the computer the system starts the setup again - asks me to put the cd in - if I press cancel I get Fatal error with an option to see the setup log. I press ok and the log shows my interupts of the install and a message that states setup encountered an error while trying to set the system security. An exteded error has occured. I press ok and the it reboots, starts the setup and ask for the cd again. If I put the cd in it goes right back to the installing devices gets about 2/3 of the green bar and then sits at the 34 minutes.

I am running on Gateway computer.

Any help would be appreciated. If I have to stick with xp home that is fine - but would really like to be on xp pro.

Thanks!

Can be internal Ram faulty or HardDrive not configured properly or worst case scenario CPU.

Basically, referring to your motherboard manual, you will need to reseat Ram and check your HardDrive connections too.

I tried your suggestions - same results. I put my old ram back in and got through the install after several more attempts. Once software update was completed I put the new memory back in and all is working fine.

Thank you for your assistance and quick reply.

If the RAM is defective you don't want it back in your PC ;) (unless you are interested in having complications in the near future). Test your RAM with Memtest86.

have you backed up all your files on your disk?

Sometimes is best to be prepared to do or just start with a full disk reformat and start your install from scratch vs. an upgrade which can sometimes screw up what you currently have.

Btw.. too late now but next time (i.e. do it before you need a "next time") try using a freeware tool DriverMax.

Let's you create a compressed backup folder of all your current drivers on your removable media. If you ever do an install again/need your drivers, you have all oft them already!

O.K. You are in the middle of installing XP Pro. When it comes to the part where it says "your computer will restart in 15 seconds).....wait until the red line has been on for a few seconds. You will probably see your monitor light change from green to yellow (indicating 'no signal'). Exactly @ this moment, open the drawer and remove the install disc. Push any key to restart your machine (although it will start anyway). The program will ask you to re insert the "XP Pro" disk, so do that. It will then go into the second half of the installation. NOTE: If I have misread or misunderstood your problem please disregard this.

pdyckman@comcas I have no idea what you mean.
Under that condition it will restart anyway (as you mentioned)
There is no need to manually restart or remove the disk, unless nothing happens
your monitor light change from green to yellow (indicating 'no signal'). Exactly @ this moment...
At that point all is going well, please leave everything alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back