Trying to downgrade a Toshiba a200 from vista to XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
First I just tried a normal boot CD, which didn't work. After a lot of different things, I finally added a RAID driver required with a slipstream to a burned boot CD and proceeded to install XP over vista, everything went normal. Afterwards when I tried to load up XP, it would begin to load then quickly jump to an error screen, flash blue, then restart my computer before I could see what it said. I'm open to any ideas, I just want to get rid of vista.

You can use a third party software to wipe the HDD. Check out Active@ Kill Disk or Darik's Boot and Nuke.

Might want to make sure that there are drivers for XP on the manufacturer's website or find third party drivers before you downgrade. I know some companies that manufacturer proprietary PC's (especially HP) will only provide Vista compatible drivers at the moment to keep people from downgrading.

follow Zenosincks info on any driver for your HDD

But doesn't Xp have the option to remove partitions on install?

I got the drivers (thanks though) and XP destroyed the partition easily enough. I've never slipstreamed anything before, so I think that was the problem, but windows XP installed with no hiccups =\

Thanks for the update.

You just need to do:
All the drivers install
All the security updates
All the normal packages (antivirus; Adobe; Office so forth)
Then optimize
Ideally image (don't worry if you don't know this)

And 4 hrs later WhaLa !
:)

but windows XP installed with no hiccups =\
Do you mean now or before?

Possibly do the install again (if you haven't any data to worry about)
Windows install is usually around ~ half an hour (unless you do a slow format)
Just remove the partition(s) fully

If you're consistently getting a BSOD flash in front of you, you need to disable the "Automatically Restart" on errors option, however I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that outside of Windows.

You might be best off either extracting the minidump files using a boot disk/LiveCD and posting them here or trying to run a repair install of XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back