Trying to format a 8 GB USB key

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonisaksson

Hello,

I have a problem with an USB key. Basically it an 8 gb but I used the HP tool to make it bootable. That changed it from 1 partion of 8 gb to just 4 gb (FAT32) and the other 4 gb is unallocated.

Now my problem is that I cant format it so I can see the full 8 gb.

In computer management (Windows XP) I cant even create a second partition for the unallocated space as the option is greyed out.
Strangely enough when I try to format it, I only get FAT32 as an option. (so no NTFS)

Any ideas would be very welcome

Cheers
Jon

I'd check the web site for the manufacturer of the USB flash drive and see of they have a more up to date Windows device driver. if that's not the case, repost and we'll take it from there.

Best,
-- Andy

I cant find any updated drivers, renamed USB key (to the resellers name) so really not sure who is the manufacturer. Though I have sent them a message but Im not expecting a speedy response.

The driver that is currently being used is the Microsoft driver version 5.1.2535.0
Quite old date on it, 01/07/2001

Tried just doing an "update driver" on it but XP couldn't find a new version

Regards
Jon

I don't know what the exact issue is but I have a strong sense that it's the device driver.

Although I am now a computer tech, I used to be a high tech engineer. I used to develop device drivers. In this case I'm switching hats and speaking as an engineer. If Windows can't partition the flash drive, it's strikes me as a device driver problem. The current driver just can't do that function. you need to figure out who the manufacturer is and see if they have an updated driver that does perform a partition and NTFS. For now, sounds like you're plain out of luck (No, I don't have the source code for this flash driver, so I can't do it for you!)

Best,
-- Andy

Try to find a program to write 0s to the flash disk to wipe out whatever the HP utility did to it. For wierd stuff like this, I usually suggest some sort of bootable linux live disc.

Active Killdisk works good. Just make sure you don't write to the wrong drive. Then it should all come up allocated and you should be able to format NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back