Trying to move files from laptop HD to desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobbigshow

Ok everybody who helped me on the other topic https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=555041#post555041
wanted me to start a new thread so here it is:

I had a Compaq Presario laptop that stopped working so I sold it as parts and kept the HD. I want to transfer some files over to my desktop. My desktop also broke so I had to by another desktop to play around with and got this :http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110205044482&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=001
Then my friend told me to get a 2.5 Notebook HDD to 3.5 Hard Drive IDE Adaptor Cable http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150180198689&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=005

but that hasn't work so I got a Notebook Hard Disk Adapter 2.5 Laptop to 3.5 IDE Drive http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160183982362&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=006.

I have tried several times to unhook the Cd Rom and hook the laptop HD that hasn't work. I then tried to hook up the Laptop HD to the motherboard as the primary HD and it says cannot boot. So what should I do?

If you need anymore information let me know.

You can't use the laptop hd with adapters to boot XP on a different machine. That is why you have to physically install Windows on each machine (unless you buy preinstalled). If you could do it that way manufacturers would probably sell hard drives with Windows installed.

I skimmed your other thread, apparently you have the connector connected properly now, that is obviously important. You are going to have to set that notebook drive to Master (perhaps it already is, perhaps its on cable select). Make sure it is master, then use it as master in place of your CD drive. If you want to use your cd drive too, then set it to slave. Master and Slave don't care where they are on the ide ribbon so you don't need to worry about that.

Yea I have not tried anything yet. It HD laptop is set as master (of course it has to be since it was used as master). I tried connecting it to in place of the CD Rom but the computer didn't read it. I tried using it as a master HD but of course that didn't work. I had a suggestion to use it as a slave second HD, should I do that, and how would I go upon getting drivers for that? I haven't done anything for a few days cause I have gotten my broken desktop HD to work on my new computer so I am good so far.

You can set it to slave, but slaving it on the same channel as your other hard drive doesn't really do anything better than just slaving your cd and keeping the notebook drive as master (putting it on the cd channel).

I'm sure this is something simple, like perhaps not getting pin 1 correct, or not having the correct jumper settings. But if you still can't figure it out, you could always pick up an external enclosure for notebook drives and just use it through USB.

SNGX1275 said:
You can set it to slave, but slaving it on the same channel as your other hard drive doesn't really do anything better than just slaving your cd and keeping the notebook drive as master (putting it on the cd channel).

I'm sure this is something simple, like perhaps not getting pin 1 correct, or not having the correct jumper settings. But if you still can't figure it out, you could always pick up an external enclosure for notebook drives and just use it through USB.
Ok It is currently set at cable sel. look at the HD data, I got no clue to switch it to pin 1

don't bother
it does not matter
I have same adapters
have you read here about taking ownership of drive
check your computer management and under disk management do you see the drive
if you do assign a letter if it does not have one
if you connecting it wrong drive could be foobar
when connected to adapter everything should be evenly lined up not off to one side
I've got corp xp from an ebay deal that allows diff boot of hardware
pretty cool
but ya the xp OS on the disk will not allowed to boot from another MB
I have exchanged clients 2.5 drives for data recovery about 30 laptop drives and the only thing that stops me from reading them is above info or they are dead no jumpers needed

Laptop IDE hard drives somtimes have a key or a spot where there are missing pins in the interface connector. Not a pin 1 designation like desktop hard drives have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back