Trying to replace drive, nothing works

The hard drive in my Hp Laptop (product #: C2M42UA#ABA) started failing, so I purchased a better drive to replace it. The new drive is a Western Digital Black, 500gb (same as old) 7200 rpm. I have tried many things to put windows onto this new drive so that I can use my laptop again.

Simply, I would like for someone to walk me through, step by step, how to actually replace my old failing drive with this blank WD drive so that my laptop functions normally again.

I have the new drive, as well as a USB to Sata III cable. I also have made recovery discs from the laptop itself, not that they helped.

The farthest I have gotten is by making a system backup with AOMEI and recovering the system to the new drive. However, this ends me up with a blue screen telling me that I need to repair my laptop (error code: 0xc0000225) by inserting Installation Media. Problem is, my Windows 8 laptop did not come with Installation Media or even a sticker on the thing with the Windows key on it.

This is driving me to far up the walls than it should. Any help that works is greatly appreciated, especially if I don't have to spend anymore money on this problem. Thank you.

Find the motherboard drivers and copy to a thumbdrive.
Safe Boot
plugin the thumbdrive
install all those drivers
shutdown

pull the thumbdrive
reboot normally - - should behave much better.

I'm sure that this is going to be difficult to do. The Windows 8 activation key isn't required because it's stored on the motherboard. Here's a link to one way of doing it and the best of luck. If it happened to me I already have a hard drive copy station so I'd duplicate the original hard disc and then try for a successful restore from the recovery partition.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/restore-windows-8-with-system-image-recovery/

It worked! Thank you so much, this ordeal is finally over!

It did look a good explanation and guide. Thanks for posting the result. I’ll bookmark it for myself because I may use it as a fall-back when Windows 10 launches and I see how W10 works or not on my Samsung netbook now running 8.1. That was difficult and I no longer have a Restore partition. OS changes on laptops can be very problematic and I hate stuff not to work.

Back