Turtle Beach PX21/DPX21 computer problem

AnonymousSurfer

Okay so I have the PX21's with the 7.1 surround sound adapter (DPX21) and so whenever I plug it in to my computer the Bass and Game sound controls seem to not work and the Chat control is the only one that works... anybody know how to fix this?

PX21_AMP_how_does_it_work1.jpg

I got this by asking Turtle Beach tech support:

If the Game level and Bass Boost controls work when you use your PX21 on a PS3 or Xbox, but do not work when you use the headset on a PC, read on:

The PX21 is actually two audio interfaces in one. (The P11 is similar, but has no Bass Boost.)

1) The first interface is the analog stereo audio input to the headphones. Audio signal is fed from the PC's Line Out (green jack) to the PX21's green headphone input jack.

2) The other is the USB audio interface (like a USB soundcard built into the headset). This USB interface operates the CHAT talkback and the MIC feed. This is the PX21's "CHAT" audio in/out.

- If you connect the PX21 to your PC, Windows may switch the sound playback away from the onboard audio and send all sound to the Turtle Beach USB Headset audio device. If this happens, the PX21's GAME and BASS BOOST controls won't be active. Only the CHAT level control will be active.

Here's how to set up the PX21 so that all controls will work on the PC:

- Connect the green plug from the PX21 to the green Line Out jack on your PC's onboard audio
or sound card.
- Connect the PX21's USB plug to a USB port on your PC.

Now, if you want to use the GAME control for the game's soundtrack, and the CHAT control for Ventrilo, Teamspeak, Steam, etc., do this:

- In your game, set the sound playback device to your PC's audio interface or sound card.
- In your chat program (whatever that might be), set its Mic and Playback to the Turtle Beach
USB Headset.

The PX21's GAME and BASS BOOST controls will now adjust the game soundtrack levels, while the PX21 CHAT control will adjust the level of people talking back to you.
--

I know this is an old thread, but this might be helpful for others having this problem (like I did)

My dpx21's were doing the same thing, chat used to control sound, nothing else working.

Here's how to fix this
1. Go to control panel and open up sound.
2. Select the playback tab.
3. Instead of setting "Turtle beach PX21 Headset" as default, select "VIA High definition Audio" (or something like it, it may be different on your hardware)

It will now route the sound through the digital optical cable rather than the USB.

Enjoy working bass and volume control and 7.1 surround sound audio.

Hello so I recently got the PX 21 and it is great but the only thing I cannot get to work is the microphone.
I record my gameplay using HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition, when using the PX 21 I can hear all gameplay sound, but whenever I try to do commentary it does not work.

Can someone please help me out here.

Thanks

Here's how to fix this
1. Go to control panel and open up sound.
2. Select the playback tab.
3. Instead of setting "Turtle beach PX21 Headset" as default, select "VIA High definition Audio" (or something like it, it may be different on your hardware)

It will now route the sound through the digital optical cable rather than the USB.

Enjoy working bass and volume control and 7.1 surround sound audio.

I did exactly this (but yes my optical cable name was different) yet I'm still stuck with no DSS signal on my DPX21. Is there anything else to try to fix this??

I did exactly this (but yes my optical cable name was different) yet I'm still stuck with no DSS signal on my DPX21. Is there anything else to try to fix this??

You are absolutely sure that you are selecting the right output? As far as I know, as long as the optical output is selected, it should give you the right sound, controlled by the "game" and "bass" nobs.

You are absolutely sure that you are selecting the right output? As far as I know, as long as the optical output is selected, it should give you the right sound, controlled by the "game" and "bass" nobs.

Completely. And yes, it does fix the "everything is controlled by my chat volume" thing, but I've yet to see the Dolby Digital light turn on. I also have Virtual Surround checked in Enhancements and the light does turn on if I play the Dolby Digital "test", but it. None of the games I've tested will switch the light.

Ahhh, yes I don't believe you can get the Dolby signal without the proper Dolby Digital Plus Software?

I actually stopped using the DSS Processor on my PC, and just use it for my PS3, because there wasn't actually any benefit to using the DSS :(

You're thinking of "Dolby Digital Live" (DDL). That's the process that encodes a PC game's mulitichannel PCM soundtrack into a single Dolby Digital bitstream. If your PC's sound card or audio interface doesn't have DDL, you will get Dolby Digital from DVD movies and the like, but you will not get Dolby Digital from PC games. Long story short, you need a sound card with DDL to get Dolby Digital 5.1 from PC games. There's an article about that on the Turtle Beach Support site. http://www.turtlebeach.com/support/entry/830516976/
I hope that helps clarify matters.

Back