Twitch content creators will boycott the streaming platform for 24 hours over 'hate raids'

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: Any time you have an open online platform, it is subject to trolls who want to ruin the experience for others. Hate raids on Twitch have seen a recent upsurge, prompting content creators to organize a boycott to get Amazon to do something about it.

Twitch streamers have recently come together on social media under the hashtag #TwitchDoBetter to let the Amazon-owed company know that it is not doing a good enough job to stem hate raids. To better get the company's attention, they have organized a boycott for next week, where they will all take a day off from Twitch.

Twitch has long had a raid feature where streamers can send their audience to another channel as they are ending their broadcast. It is usually a welcomed surprise for content creators as they watch their channel get flooded with new viewers. It also brings subscribers and followers, which is good for their revenue.

Lately, trolls have been using bot accounts to raid streamers, posting harassing messages. The Washington Post reports that the trolls primarily target marginalized creators who use tags related to gender, sexual orientation, race, disabilities, or others.

Channel moderators and creators have some tools at their disposal, such as banning users from chat. However, when there are hundreds of accounts spewing hate, it can be pretty overwhelming. Additionally, there are no restrictions on account creation so generating a new ID to get back into the fray is generally pretty easy.

After the #TwitchDoBetter rally, the company did make some efforts to curb the bad behavior by implementing better chat filters. However, as one user pointed out, they are far less than foolproof (tweet above). Twitch also announced that it would be rolling out detection algorithms to check for "channel-level ban evasion." However, it did not have a timeframe for when such a feature would be ready.

Kotaku notes, Amazon currently takes 50 percent of streamers' subscription revenue. Content creators feel that the company is taking a large sum of the money generated by their work but doing virtually nothing to stop or provide tools for combating the trolls. So they are attempting to create a 24-hour blackout on Twitch next week under the hashtag #ADayOffTwitch. Boycott organizers are urging fellow streamers to stop streaming for one day starting September 1. They are also asking viewers not to watch streams or log in to chat.

Permalink to story.

I always wonder what the logic is for ignoring reasonable requests until it guess public, defending it and then doing something about it. People are weird.

Damn. I had no idea they took 50%. I just assumed it was closer to 30%.
That's crazy if that's for both big and small streamers.

They're "boycotting" Twitch for a whole day...A WHOLE DAY. That's truly gonna show them!!!

With my regular usage I use Twitch less than they when they "boycott".

Every time I go do something else I am in fact BOYCOTTING every internet company for a few hours.

In the old days script kiddies would trash websites. More platforms to practice your programming and bot building.

If you don't give kids playgrounds due to health and safety nanny state coddling, (but billy bumped his head, and Ronald broke his leg...) Then they get bored and chuck stones at your car, and steal your TV.

If they don't have a constructive project, like the next only fans, then twitch and Facebook are possibly an area for them to get up to no good.

But frankly, don't care. Carry on.

They're "boycotting" Twitch for a whole day...A WHOLE DAY. That's truly gonna show them!!!

Every time I go do something else I am in fact BOYCOTTING every internet company for a few hours.
It's just to draw attention to the problem, not to cripple the platform. As you can see, the media has picked it up and articles are being written. I doubt that Amazon wants negative news right now.

And the guy just demonstrated why it's a hard problem to solve, even for Twitch.

That said, can't these channels put it into subscriber-only mode? Or do these bots also pay money to troll?

So basically the mostly sexualized piece of garbage that is twitch is now falling apart because the SJW's that are all over the platform cannot handle any criticism and now are being trolled by internet trolls.

I was actually really glad to read this news. I hope it happens more and more every single day until every site similar to twitch just goes away. The entire concept of just watching other people do things instead of doing yourself is a cancer that is destroying our society.

People who do this or defend it are sad, sad projects of human beings.
Your name contains weeb in it so.... it means that you are the exact type of person who cannot handle conflict. Maybe the internet isn't for you either buddy.

I know, it goes to show how pathetic all these people really are.... I don't think I watch twitch for 5 hours a year so I guess I am always "boycotting" it.... By this metric I am literally boycotting most companies for "days at a time" all the time. smh

I think the only time I watch someone else play a video game is when I need to figure out a part of the game I am currently stuck on. Lol.

Think of the Twitch Streamers!!!!!11

If you get so upset over people poking you on a live interaction platform you need to either man up and deal with it or get off the internet. The real world doesnt exist to make you feel happy.
"The real world doesnt exist to make you feel happy" - no it doesn't, which is why people try to make themselves happy and this is one way to do it. Being proactive is a good thing and here you are trying to create arguments against it.

If you like being unhappy and are doing nothing about it then that's your problem. Other people work hard to achieve happiness and you are laughing at their efforts.

People like you are the first to crack under pressure, especially when insulted on the internet.

Back