Twitter will soon let you decide who can reply to your tweets

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Twitter is introducing a new feature that will allow people to decide who, if anyone, can reply to their tweets. The platform already allows users to hide replies to tweets, but the new tool adds more control over what they see and should help address the long-running troll problem.

Suzanne Xie, Twitter’s director of product management, revealed the new reply options at CES. They will be tested in the first quarter of this year before being launched later in 2020, and consist of four settings that users can select:

• Global – Anyone can respond.
  • Group - Allows replies from a user’s follows, or anyone mentioned in the tweet.
  • Panel - Allow replies from people mentioned.
  • Statement – No replies are allowed.

"We want to help people feel safe participating in the conversation on Twitter," the company said.

Being able to prevent any replies at all to a tweet is certainly interesting, and you can expect plenty of people to use the option. When asked about the possibility of limiting replies leading to misinformation going unchallenged, Xie said the company is exploring the option of allowing quote retweets.

For many years now, Twitter has promised to do more to deal with the harassment and bullying that is rife on the platform. In July, it started removing tweets that "include language that dehumanizes others on the basis of religion."

In December 2018, an Amnesty International report that examined the abuse of women on the site led to a short-seller labeling it “the Harvey Weinstein of social media.”

Xie also announced new conversational features were coming to Twitter in the coming months, including threading, with the aim of putting an entire conversation “on one screen.” The company is also upgrading its topics and lists discovery features.

Permalink to story.

I knew that social media like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram were trash when I saw how they gave us a thumb up button but no thumb down button.

Disallowing the ability for someone to call you out on your BS is a sign of a spineless system.

I see nothing wrong with blocking people and their opinions from your posts considering the number of trolls out there, but you should have to face the cognitive dissonance of being able to see your detractors detract.

"We want to help people feel safe participating in the conversation on Twitter," the company said.

Its not a conversation if people are not allowed to respond.

Dammit! Now I can’t reply to anti 5G tweets saying “5G is very low end infrared at best, so if you’re concerned about 5G, then you should also be concerned about the sun and ban it altogether”

Its not a conversation if people are not allowed to respond.

Its also not a conversation if the replies aren't constructive.

It doesn't seem like anything will stop you from re-tweeting something, and adding your reply that way.

I thought a certain President ran into problems for doing just this thing ......

Government officials are not allowed to censor citizens. Trump can't block or ban you for posting your discontent.

Here's the problem...

Rather than these trash-*** social media sites giving us a simple THUMB UP and THUMB DOWN button, they only allow us to "like" or post those stupid emojis that are for the most part ambiguous in meaning.

Trump is a sociopath. He wouldn't use Twitter if we had a thumb down button.

The last thing he wants to see is detractors.

Any social media that disallows thumbs down is TRASH.

Even Youtube is better than that.

The main idea is that you should concentrate on what you like rather than what you dislike. Let people thumb down everywhere solves nothing.

Back