Two free games per console is returning to PlayStation Plus members again

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: There are some definite advantages to having a PlayStation Plus (PS+) membership. The $60-per-year service is required for online gaming, but even if you are not an online player, the subscription provides free games and discounts that more than pay for a year of service.

With the launch of the PlayStation 5, PlayStation Plus members will get a new benefit and one that is not so new.

The newest perk for PS+ members is called the "PlayStation Plus Collection" that Sony announced when it revealed the PS5's pricing and release date. It is a curated library of backward-compatible PlayStation 4 games that Plus members can access for free. Sony did not share whether titles will periodically rotate in and out of the catalog. However, it did have a list of games available at launch, and all are quality titles.

• Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Battlefield 1
  • Bloodborne
  • Days Gone
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Fallout 4
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • God of War
  • inFamous: Second Son
  • The Last Guardian
  • The Last of Us Remastered
  • Monster Hunter: World
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Persona 5
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • Until Dawn

The other benefit coming to PS+ members is an additional two free games per month. This entitlement is not so new. After the PS4 launched in 2013, Plus subscribers, who had been getting just two PS3 games and one PS Vita game per month, got an additional two titles for the PlayStation 4. As of March 2019, Sony discontinued the free PS3 and Vita games, so members have only been receiving two PS4 titles per month.

Some may ask, "What is the point of grabbing two free PS5 games if you don't have a PS5?" Well, unless Sony changes the claiming process, you should be able to claim all four titles regardless of ownership, although you would have to snag the PS5 games from the online store since they might not display on the PS4's store app. Doing this can build up a small collection of PS5 games before even laying any money down on the console.

It is unclear when Sony will start offering free PlayStation 5 games, however. Usually, gratis titles are ones that have been out for at least a little while. Having something to offer at, or shortly after, the PS5 launch next month might be problematic for the developers.

Nevertheless, when they did it in 2013, Resogun and Contrast were two PS4 games offered in the same month the console launched. So there is the possibility that Sony will have some PlayStation 5 freebies for PS+ members on day one. If so, I'm speculating that they will be first-party games from one of the PlayStation game studios.

PlayStation Plus subscriptions run $10 per month or $60 per year. You can also often find them on sale through Amazon and other vendors for as low as $35 for one year. I always snag these deals and tack them to the end of my current membership.

Image credit: Jer123

Permalink to story.

Having got my sub. out to 3 or 4 years with discounts - I would be seriously P. off if I was not offered PS5 games without the console - if I never buy one then where's the loss. If it triggers me to buy one then all fluffy puppies for them

"Plus subscribers, who had been getting just two PS3 games and one PS Vita game per month, got an additional two titles for the PlayStation 4. "

Wat? It was 2 Vita titles a month.

Also the 2 Vita games were often crossbuy titles so you got em on PS4 and Ps3 often too.

Previously we couldn't grab PS4 games on PS3 with the PS+ subscription. Perhaps Sony expects so high demand on PS5 that many PS4 owners will stay with the current gen until a middle of the next year.

Previously we couldn't grab PS4 games on PS3 with the PS+ subscription. Perhaps Sony expects so high demand on PS5 that many PS4 owners will stay with the current gen until a middle of the next year.
You could if you logged into the store through the consoles browser. But yeah, was kinda daft.

Like how when you add the games to basket and check out and it shows how much they would have cost but shows 0 total, as if you're getting them for free, forgetting that you can only use em with an active sub, so not the same as actually buying them at all.

They're not really free because you have to be a Playstation+ member to get them and the membership isn't free...

Because marketing.

Back