Two or more users

circusboy01

If two or more people are using the same computer, each one logging in separately. Do each of them need to install antivirus antimalware. (protection) separately, or does one installation work for all ? ( I'm about 99% sure I know the answer, Id just like to know for sure.)

I'm betting one installation is good for 2 or more users.

That's what I think. But I'd really like to know for sure. My moms boyfriend stayed around after she died. Because he had become part of the family. We even gave him our moms Mobile home.His son is staying with him now. I let him use my computer to log into his account, and do things like apply for jobs. I worry that if he is on line for a long period of time, if he isn't protected he could bring in a virus, or whatever.

If the other person had a guest account, he most likely wouldn't have authorization to download or update programs, but I'm sure that from what you're saying, you have nothing to worry about as long as they're updated & run regularly.
You of course could check your browsers history if you've chosen to save it & that would tell you where he has been.
We'll hope you're ok & hope someone else here will chime in.:)

This may help you out:
Understanding Full Antivirus Scan Level Settings

The antivirus module allows you to configure scanning options on a global level, on a UTM profile level, or on a firewall policy level. Each configuration level has the following implications:

Global antivirus settings—Settings are applied to all antivirus sessions. Global settings are general overall configurations for the antivirus module or settings that are not specific for profiles.
Profile-based settings—Antivirus settings are different for different protocols within the same policy.
Policy-based settings—Antivirus settings are different for different policies. Policy-based antivirus settings are applied to all scan-specified traffic defined in a firewall policy.

The majority of antivirus settings are configured within an antivirus profile, bound to specified protocols, and used by designated policies. These UTM policies are then applied to the traffic according to firewall policies. If a firewall policy with an antivirus setting matches the properties of a traffic flow, the antivirus setting is applied to the traffic session. Therefore, you can apply different antivirus settings for different protocols and for different traffic sessions.
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/sof...swconfig-security/index.html?topic-44490.html

About Unified Threat Management (UTM)
Allows creation of identity-based network access policies for individual users, delivering complete visibility and control on the network activities.

From the search, it appears that each AV has a place for the Global Setting. Using the above info, I would make sure the AV on your system is set to run globally and that there are no policies set on the account that would disable the AV.

My first thought was that since the AV is installed on the system itself, it would run no matter who the user was. But there are some 'fine points'- just check them out for the AV you use.

If the other person had a guest account, he most likely wouldn't have authorization to download or update programs, but I'm sure that from what you're saying, you have nothing to worry about as long as they're updated & run regularly.
You of course could check your browsers history if you've chosen to save it & that would tell you where he has been.
We'll hope you're ok & hope someone else here will chime in.:)

He does have his own account. He doesn't use my account.So far he has only been to the state employment office, and the places around town where he applied for jobs..

This may help you out:

About Unified Threat Management (UTM)
Allows creation of identity-based network access policies for individual users, delivering complete visibility and control on the network activities.

From the search, it appears that each AV has a place for the Global Setting. Using the above info, I would make sure the AV on your system is set to run globally and that there are no policies set on the account that would disable the AV.

My first thought was that since the AV is installed on the system itself, it would run no matter who the user was. But there are some 'fine points'- just check them out for the AV you use.

I'm sure Avast, and all my other protections are installed for my entire system. At least I didn't purposely block anything. So it looks like I'm safe. Thanks.

Back