Two out of every three players abandon free-to-play games within the first 24 hours

Shawn Knight

Staff member

android ios free to play

Free-to-play has been praised by gamers and developers alike but the findings of a recent study cast a pretty big shadow on the popular model. According to Swrve, a company that helps developers monetize their apps, two out of every three new players quit playing freemium smartphone and tablet games within 24 hours.

Research also showed that nearly 20 percent of new players only opened a new game download once before abandoning it completely. Over a three-month period, just over half of new players opened a particular game more than five times. The numbers suggest acquisition as a metric in many cases is pretty much worthless.

Another important metric as it relates to free-to-play games is in-app purchases and yet again, the numbers disappoint. The study found that only 2.2 percent of new players made in-app purchases within the first three months of playing a game.

Customers that do end up making in-app purchases average 3.3 purchases for a total average of just over $20. When it’s all said and done, developers on average can expect around $0.45 per install. It’s one of the reasons that so many developers have to instead rely on advertising to earn a living.

The takeaway from everything is that it’s imperative to make the right impression with gamers early on as the first few days – or even the first play of a game – are vital. If a gamer is not impressed by a title on the first play, they’re not likely to ever give it a second try.

Permalink to story.

This is very true also when it comes to PC gaming as well, but the one thing that I can say is that when someone does buy a game that is either a one time cost of monthly subscription, they fell more obligated to play that game considering they actually paid money to get it. With F2P you can just play when you want at any time without worrying about that monthly payment that you have to pay.

I don't play games on my mobiles, I leave that for the proper platform, the PC, although I can believe the study. If the game is so great why don't they charge for it? But even on the PC platform I take F2P with a pinch of salt.

Not a shock, because they're not really "free to play." At some point in time, every one of those games is going to put you in a situation where you have to break out the credit card to continue or to continue other than at a snail's pace. And it's usually at that point (the first 24 hours), that people say, "not worth it."

This may be true because most f2p games on Android at least just purely suck. They are made with little effort with a bunch of ads and microtransactions flashing your screen.

They are also really repetetive and you get bored playing them for a while.

Another reason why they suck is cause there are so many copies/clones of successful games with a slightly different name. Take a look at Flappy Bird for example. It's the original but there's also floppy bird, flapping bird, flappy troll, wings, potato and many many more. Same goes for Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Minecraft and so on...

Not a shock, because they're not really "free to play." At some point in time, every one of those games is going to put you in a situation where you have to break out the credit card to continue or to continue other than at a snail's pace. And it's usually at that point (the first 24 hours), that people say, "not worth it."

You have just described candy crush saga.

This is very true also when it comes to PC gaming as well, but the one thing that I can say is that when someone does buy a game that is either a one time cost of monthly subscription, they fell more obligated to play that game considering they actually paid money to get it. With F2P you can just play when you want at any time without worrying about that monthly payment that you have to pay.

Took the words right out of my mouth. With F2P there is no risk in trying out the game, so lots of people do it, obviously not everyone will like it, hence they stop playing within 24 hours. When a game is not F2P usually the buyer will do more research to get a hint if they will actually like the game before forking over cash, this can be trying out demos, watching reviews etc. Also like you said, once the money has been spent, the buyer will feel compelled to try to get their money's worth lest they waste money.

Well let me just say, a lot of app's don't make up to the expectations of the "details" tab on the app store and most don't venture over to the reviews before making a download.

Most of the games or apps I dl are simply no good or fun. What the apps do doesn't need doing.

The games while fun for a spell are too difficult. If the games had difficulty levels that worked...such as "I can win" then the game would get played and a skill level could be obtained then the game would be played more. Too often the first level is a breeze then ramped up and dumped.

I don't know the age of the guys making the games...they can code but that alone isn't enough. They must read and respond to the reviews other then by writing, NO. I don't care about the adds. I do care that a free games needs to be activated. That's an immediate dump.

Many of the games are also retreads of games made 20 years ago and those have been played and played.

It's a good model that most guys don't understand.

Yep. Candy Crush is fun and has none of my money.

I received a tablet as a gift (android), downloaded about 8 games, tried maybe 3, got rid of them. The rest I had downloaded but not tried, got rid of them as well without even trying them.
But then on my PC I downloaded World of Tanks and after not installing it in several weeks just deleted it.

I generally don't play video games, free or otherwise. I think they demand too much time and effort, which I could better utilize by trying to annoy my fellow Techspotters.....!;)

(Which in turn, takes too much time away from my perennial search for erotic art)....:eek:

Been a Game Developer for over 23 years, but I can see who buys and who rather not buy games. But now free online game role playing is a different story!

Still today online gaming is stronger than ever. Kixeye with Battle Pirates 1.6 million players, War Commander 1.6 million players they also have Monster Wars and Vega Conflict. All they can be played on Face Book or on the Kixeye server. I feel that Cryptic STO (Star Trek Online) KDF, STF and RMF are much more fun to play the the visuals are 100% better!

These 3 games online with the right PC you can live the 3D experience. So don't know where the the results of this test shows most drop it where these games are so highly played out daily. I know I am on the STO now and level up to Vice Admiral on STF and RMF in 3 weeks. KDF now level 20 Commander. If I keep at it I'll be a level 30 Captain in week .

There are Mission to do, and while you hit level 50 you can do PVP missions with other players on STF side there are so many playing. So again results like this should be counted as well.

These games I had just mention are free to play then under Kixeye you are bound to give in to pay for perks in coins. But that's the way that game goes or do what I did work your way over level 50 and don't pay for anything. Cryptic Silver Players (Free) and Gold Players (Pay) $14.99 a month for extra perks.

We all can buy Zen (coins) to get fancy newer ships and weapons, consoles for your ships. Ships are your home in VRT world and Kixeye the ideal is your build a base and maintain that base with your 14 fleets of 5 ships each in that fleet. Lot of work to keep them protected too.

Cryptic gives you 5 ships for free. One is free in the Enterprise C mission time travel when you complete it. 4 ships you can get when you level up. Level 50 you don't get a new ship you would have to buy one using Zen Coin. Some say you can get around that, but again a lot of work to do so.

If your a fan of Star Trek TV Series then STO is for you. If not they try Kixeye online gaming. Then there is SOE from Sony Online Entertainment with EverQuest. Free game to play if you want you can pay per month and get more perks. It's up to you. They need players so they offer free game play, otherwise the their paying players won't have much targets or players to play with.

Have Fun!

Last edited:
Back