Uber will pay its drivers to place rooftop ad displays on their vehicles

Polycount

Staff
In brief: Advertising is big business these days, and Uber is looking to capitalize on that industry in a more direct way now. Uber has partnered with ad tech company Adomni to place "ad displays" on the rooftops of its drivers' vehicles.

In terms of shape, these ad displays will be similar to what city-goers often see on top of taxis. Of course, as potentially lucrative as this could be for Uber, the company would have a hard time forcing its thousands of drivers to adopt these displays without giving them something in return.

That's why Uber will compensate any drivers who decide to play ball. Over the course of a temporary pilot program (we're unsure exactly how long it will run) across three cities, Uber will offer its drivers $100 a week (in addition to a $300 upfront payout) for installing these displays. Drivers will need to cart customers around for at least 20 hours each week to be eligible.

The types of ads Uber plans to show on these displays will vary, and we're sure the company has some internal system for determining when and where to display certain sponsored messages. Specific ads may work better in some participating cities than others, after all.

Uber's rooftop ads will reportedly begin showing up on April 1, so if you drive for the ride-sharing company, it might be worth looking into this program further. We'll update you if Uber releases any specific sign-up information in the near future.

Image credit: Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

Interesting. In many cities there is an "public advertisement rate" that is charged to cabs, delivery vehicles, just about anything that displays some kind of Ad. I wonder if Uber has advised their drivers of this?

Interesting. In many cities there is an "public advertisement rate" that is charged to cabs, delivery vehicles, just about anything that displays some kind of Ad. I wonder if Uber has advised their drivers of this?
Hmm, I wasn't aware of that. Do you know if this rate is charged to the cab/delivery company or the individual driver?

Uber should also pay for the gasoline for this 20 hour driving as wind on the add display will increase the gas consumption...!

Stooping to a new low. As if we don't get blasted by enough ads already. Even more advertisements, and more reasons to hate this company? And anything that emits lights other than what are allowed by law is illegal. Animated billboards should be illegal as well.

What Cities have this? I searched and received no results found for "public advertisement rate" over the past year.

Next, will be monitors in the back seats of the vehicles that display annoying ads/videos

What Cities have this? I searched and received no results found for "public advertisement rate" over the past year.

I may have used the wrong term. It is usually assigned as a motor vehicle "tax" assigned against displays on vehicles. NYC had one of the more famous ones but I've seen it used in smaller cities. It's nothing more than a means for cities to generate more revenue ......

Back