Ubuntu & Comcast compatibility

Zen

Just wanted to chime in here and advise all our TechSpot members and guests that Comcast Cable Service acknowledges and supports Ubuntu.

Yesterday I upgraded my services to the Comcast "Triple Play", TV, Internet and home phone. The home phone is what I'm chiming in about. Apparently when it comes to their universal caller I.D. program, the program that will normally show who is calling on ones TV screen. Well, the same feature is supported on computers running Linux platforms. Comcast advised that they have the service, scanned my system, found Ubuntu 10.10, said "supported" and click here to install, the bloody thing is the first thing ever for Ubuntu that I've seen that acted like a (.exe) program.

It installed flawlessly, now when one calls my new home phone the caller I.D. stuff will display on my computers as well. :grinthumb

To me, it appears that some company's out there are starting to acknowledge Linux, for I was under the impression that this caller I.D. thing would have been only supported on a Microsoft Windows Platform.

This all might be silly to share, but heck, anyone who has Comcast, and has their home phone service might not know that this works. For poo poo & giggles I called myself from my cell phone, it worked, there was my name, cell phone number and the city that the call originated out of.

I'll shut up now and stop being a wind bag! :D

To be fair, most distribution packages are the same. Deb files can be installed with one click, in Debian based systems for example.

But its always nice to see Linux being supported with software from ISPs. :)

Back