Ubuntu firewall and av

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejames82

hi,

i am new to ubuntu and would like to know about security programs in general.
in windows, a firewall and a real-time residential antivirus is recommended. is this also the case in ubuntu 8.04 hardy heron? we already have firestarter as a firewall and clamav as an antivirus, but don't know how to verify if they are serving their function.
can other av's be installed and ran as on-demand scanners without conflict? how is this done? newbie-newbies here.

To the best of my knowledge current Linux distros don't require AV or Anti Spyware. For the most part, I don't believe the bad guys have caught up with them yet. But, I'm sure they're working on it.
Phantasm66 has written a good guide about Linux security, and best of all, it's right at the top of this page. It's deep though, very, very deep. Scary deep!

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic2199.html

captain,
you are so right. that info is very, very deep. the terminology used there just totally took me off guard. i am barely crawling and that info requires someone who is at least walking. maybe a little farther down the road.....
thanks for the reply.

My son and his new bride have a computer that I built for them, and they've involved themselves with "Face Book". Here's the part I don't get, despite using the same security software as me, they've managed to download malware, while myself, being a dirty old man can go to other "less reputable" websites , and haven't had much, if any problems.
So, here's what I was thinking. Maybe should install a copy of the latest Ubuntu on the box in question, just to have them set up email accounts on it. It is after all, free. The Linux is immune to the BS that's circulating, (as is Mac), but Ubuntu can read and deal with NTFS files. End of headaches for me.

These seem like realistic and quite conservative expectations in this implementation of the Linux OS. There's not much of a learning curve, and you can use the Linux as security software for your Windows installation. While using Windows with all your old familiar programs.

The schemes about converting exclusively to Linux and deserting Windows completely always seem a tad grandiose, at least to my reckoning.

I agree
But many manufacturers are even selling Linux instead of Windows on their computers
I also note that many users use a linux server between their computer and their modem, for security. Especially noted with network servers.

captain,
we don't believe you go to "less reputable" websites.
anybody who goes to facebook with windows had better have a good antivirus. i think that website is worse than myspace.

kimsland,
i bought an asus eee for my daughter, who is 19. it has xandros. she basically surfs fearlessly. i didn't really want to instill that attitude in her, but maybe i am being paranoid when i shouldn't be.

repeat after me, rule-1
ALL systems can be attacked and need protection​
Proactive tools will defeat most attacks, such as
1) any router
2) any firewall

The biggest hazard is the user; every time you open a connection to some remote site,
the content is unknowy and your system can be attacked (even with 1-2 above),
which is why we need A/V.

The politics of which systems have more users TENDS to move most attacks to Windows,
however, that's not 100% and .... rule-1 applies :)

Rule #2 (I usually advocate this as the first rule, but since this is about security, I'll make it second):
Always back up your files!

If your security has been breached, perhaps to the point it cannot be repaired and you have to erase the partition or your hard drive to re-install the operating system, you will want to have your files on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back