UDF disc failures

GeoSv

In short, why are UDF discs so unreliable. When writing to RW or RE, they always seem to stall somewhere in the middle. Then the process just freezes with no way out except powering off.
Then you lose the writeability. Worse you may lose the contents.
I'm guessing it's disc flaws, and UDF has no process for managing defects.

Is UDF defect management enabled by default in W8?
I'm trying to use BD for data storage with UDF. If the discs are going to fail at random times in further sessions, I get no benefit from BluRay.

"In short, why are UDF discs so unreliable?"... You are talking about CD/DVD/BluRay optical drives, right?

As I keep working on this, at this point I think that when you drag items in File Explorer to disc, Windows is not using any defect management on the disc. So it hangs and just does not proceed - forever.

"Windows is not using any defect management on the disc"

As a professional programmer, I can tell you that just isn't so. Code gets inspected for such things and if your assertion WERE true, the programmer and his/her manager got roasted for allowing it to slip thru the cracks.

Your system and or your configuration has issues. Suggest running SFC /SCANNOW.

I've been dealing with this for ten years, and so has the rest of the world.
Started with W2000 and InCD.
While I'm currently trying to use BD on W8, it applied to CD-RW and DVD-RW.
This is in contrast to the DVD-RAM system, which definitely uses defect management and NEVER has a problem. A full DVD-RAM format takes 45 min, while DVD-RW UDF takes 1 min. Meaning UDF does NO defect management in formatting. So why should I believe it does it during writing.

I also notice in Cyberlink Power2Go writer there is an OPTIONAL defect mgt. But that write is different, not the same as Windows drag capability.

Meaning UDF does NO defect management in formatting.
No so - - most common conclusion would be a QUICK format, rather than a Low-Level block rewrite.

To quote the wiki
Normally, authoring software will master a UDF file system in a batch process and write it to optical media in a single pass. But when packet writing to rewritable media, such as CD-RW, UDF allows files to be created, deleted and changed on-disc just as a general-purpose filesystem would on removable media like floppy disks and flash drives.​

Never liked writing in one-pass (CD or DVD) specifically for issues with media quality.

"most common conclusion would be a QUICK format, rather than a Low-Level block rewrite."
I don't understand what you're saying.
This is not convincing me.

Back