UK firm claims patents on Internet downloading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Didou

UK firm claims patents on Internet downloading
ZDNet UK
June 14, 2004, 17:40 BST

Automatic software-downloading and virus-updating applications could be covered by patents controlled by the British Technology Group

A UK company claims to own a number of patents that relate to the process of downloading software and virus-protection updates over the Internet.

British Technology Group (BTG) said on Monday that it is in discussions with several companies, reportedly including Microsoft, in the hope of getting them to pay royalties.

"We have various patents that cover various ways of downloading software updates over the Web, including virus fixes and product enhancements. These cover products that are in widespread use today," a BTG spokesman said.

BTG is seeking both down-payments and future royalties from "a number of companies" which it claims have already produced products that infringe its patents. But at the time of writing the company has not divulged details of the patents in question.

BTG, which represents inventors and patent owners who want to protect and enforce their patents, won't reveal which companies it is in negotiations with. Its patents potentially cover some of the free virus update services that are available, which could become unviable to operate if royalties had to be paid to BTG.

BTG, though, played down the suggestion that computer users could be at risk because of its actions.

"I can't think of any time that BTG has brought an injunction to take a product that is on the market off the market," said the company spokesman.

According to a report in the Daily Telegraph, Microsoft is one of the companies being pursued by BTG.

A Microsoft spokeswoman, though, wasn't immediately able to comment on the issue, saying that it "wasn't anything that she'd seen information on".

If the patent office is allowing patents for something that obvious they should be shut down. That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard in my entire life.

The patent offices don't just care as long as they get paid. As a lot of people / organizations do.

In that case I am going to patent walking, running, stomping, hopping, skipping, breathing, buying, selling, standing still, nose picking, ear picking, coughing, sneezing and every other action possible.

I am going to be rich just like Microsoft!

Originally posted by DigitAlex
The patent offices don't just care as long as they get paid. As a lot of people / organizations do.

Well that is one part of the answer. The other problem is, the US patent office is constantly complaining about a budget way too tight. They have about 3000 patent inspectors & have about 100.000 new patents to validate every year.

It's no wonder they don't have too much time to spend on each patent & sometimes ridiculous patents go through.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Didou
It's no wonder they don't have too much time to spend on each patent & sometimes ridiculous patents go through.:rolleyes:

They also have 52 weeks a year in which to look at those patents.

It's not something you do in a day or two. Actually, it is not something you should do in a day or two but that's what these people end up doing.

Patents go through different drafts, you have to make sure they don't infrige on previous patents, you have to make sure there aren't specific laws in places prohibiting this specific patent, you have to make sure it's not too general so that it doesn't block innovation, etc.

personally, if I was in the business of technology, with a patent on downloding updates, I'd keep it very quiet for a long time untill it was something that was used a lot. Then I might suggest that I deserve damages for peoples infringement on my patented rights.

Just a guess though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back