UK introduces road signs that detect phone use in cars

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: The UK is testing a new roadside system that can identify when drivers are using their mobile phones and show them a warning.

The signs, which have initially been installed in the county of Norfolk, work by scanning for phone signals as vehicles pass. A directional antenna picks up a handset's radio waves and measures the signal strength and length of activation. If phone use is detected, a “no mobiles” image made of LEDs is lit up by the roadside.

The system can even tell if a call is being made using a hands-free kit or via Bluetooth—both legal in the UK—in which case the warning sign won’t activate.

The system doesn’t record any video or take any pictures. It’s hoped that the warnings will deter drivers from using phones—they could decide it’s not worth the risk of being caught. However, statistics from the signs will be shared with local law enforcement, and the system could record specific number plates as a “future development.”

Using a hand-held phone while driving in the UK can lead to 6 penalty points on a driver’s license and a £200 ($265) fine. If the case goes to court, an offender could be banned temporarily from driving and faces a maximum penalty of £1000 ($1326) or £2000 for drivers of buses and trucks.

There are some caveats to the system. It cannot tell the difference between a driver and a passenger using a phone. It’s also unable to detect if a driver is using online services while behind the wheel; a common practice, thanks to the popularity of WhatsApp, Facebook, Messenger, etc.

"Any scheme which prevents this kind of behavior is welcomed. Using a mobile phone at the wheel is one of the fatal four road offenses which can have devastating consequences if it causes a fatal or serious collision," Insp. Jonathan Chapman, of Norfolk Roads Policing unit, told the BBC.

Permalink to story.

I often use my phone for GPS and music at the same time. Streaming through bluetooth to my receiver. Will it detect as illegal phone usage or be within acceptable range as it's bluetooth usage for hands-free kit essentially? Can this system detect between streaming music and other usage? Seems like it can't when they mention this line,
It’s also unable to detect if a driver is using online services while behind the wheel; a common practice, thanks to the popularity of WhatsApp, Messenger, etc.

So basically.... it really can't tell... if your phone is using it's radios for any reason other than bluetooth?

Ultimately this sign is a big waste of money. I see a lot of possible issues with it besides what is stated in the article. The biggest problem is that if someone is actually looking at their phone, while driving, they won't even see the sign. XD

Of course they probably want it to be a friendly reminder to not be an *****.

The data is too organic/complex to even get it accurate enough to automate this (at this point in time).

Maybe if it can take a picture of the phone in hand with attention on the phone (which is screened by a person) would it even begin to be useful...

Ultimately this sign is a big waste of money. I see a lot of possible issues with it besides what is stated in the article. The biggest problem is that if someone is actually looking at their phone, while driving, they won't even see the sign. XD

Of course they probably want it to be a friendly reminder to not be an *****.
Exactly my thoughts on it, if you are looking at your phone you won't even see this. Another badly thought out waste of money by the UK government.

But many cars now have wireless capabilities used for downloading traffic information for their GPS. If an autonomous Tesla drives buy it would set off the sign

I often use my phone for GPS and music at the same time. Streaming through bluetooth to my receiver. Will it detect as illegal phone usage or be within acceptable range as it's bluetooth usage for hands-free kit essentially? Can this system detect between streaming music and other usage? Seems like it can't when they mention this line,
It’s also unable to detect if a driver is using online services while behind the wheel; a common practice, thanks to the popularity of WhatsApp, Messenger, etc.

So basically.... it really can't tell... if your phone is using it's radios for any reason other than bluetooth?

Exactly. Giant waste of money, false positives for days. Back to the drawing board...

Waste of money.
/ WRONG .for the trial period maybe .but no, like photo radar , this will generate big ticket revenue.lose a few that show up to contest the violation, but most will just pay the ticket,
I wrote parking tickets for a major Canadian city back in the 90's, some do contest,most just paid the ticket .
it's ok to hate me ,get in line. :p
.the guy in the tesla will see the ticket in the mail,will think for all of about 3 sec.s ,**** I was on the phone too,and just pay the ticket.prolly cost more to go and contest it. that is what the U.K. gov is betting on.
Oh ,if you think they won't tell the difference between the various signals ,sa y from a satellite GPS or a cell phone, think again, that's what the trial period is for ,to work out the coding bugs.
like the photo radar ,for a period ,just the flashing sign,warning,then there will be the warning ticket in the mail period, then when they got it working the way they want it,start issuing real tickets. and count the money.
in alberta ,they have photo Radar , got that working,then came the red light cameras.got them working.this tech will be next ,if its not there already. I live on the east coast now.
And this is not about the phone usage ,its about DISTRACTED DRIVING,,period,in Newbrunswick ,it just recently became law ,that a pet in the vehicle must be secured ,in a kennel,cage ,or harnessed and seatbelt secured so it can't move around freely.

Last edited:
"The system doesn’t record any video or take any pictures."

Without surveillance they will have no proof the driver was alone and the one using the phone. Good thing this is only meant as a deterrent.

"The system doesn’t record any video or take any pictures."

Without surveillance they will have no proof the driver was alone and the one using the phone. Good thing this is only meant as a deterrent.

"And the system could record specific number plates" as a future development." "

as stated ,during the trial period .there will be warnings shown . further developments could see a camera. added.

I agree. Like all tech, there will be refinements until a finished product arrives. The finished product will include cameras, will be able to tell the difference between a gps app and facebook and will have automated printer technology.

Back