Ultra settings...

Petola

Hi!

I'm about to purchase Total War: Rome II and want to run it with "Ultra settings" and high framerate. My configuration is:

Motherboard: GA-EP35-DS3
Processor: Duo Core 2 E6850 3.0 GHz
GPU: GeForce 880 GT 512 MB

RAM: 4 GB DDR2

Do I have to upgrade my hardware? If so, what would you recommend? Would a new
GPU be enough?

I need all the help I can get. Thanks!

To answer your question, yes you will have to update, the 8800 GT is way out of date and I don't know for sure if you can run it on low settings with decent frame rate let alone Ultra. The Core 2 Duo will also be outdated by todays standards but for me the game is not too CPU intensive.

You can start by grabbing a new GPU, something like a R9 270X or GTX 760 will be enough to get Ultra with reasonable framerate, but your CPU will be the bottleneck next.

At this point, I would just about say start a new system, because I don't think reaching Ultra in Rome Total War 2 is going to be easy with a Core 2 Duo and for sure not on an 8800 GT

You need to do a full revamp. Rome II probably needs a quad core to run at ultra settings along with a good GPU.

Ok, as I suspected... :(

GhostRyder: I'll keep an eye on those GPUs you mentioned.
But what about this configuration:

GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7750 1GB
CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 Socket-LGA1150, Dual Core, 3.0GHz, 3MB
RAM: Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 4GB

If this is not sufficient, what would you tweak?

I really appreciate your help guys!

Ok, as I suspected... :(

GhostRyder: I'll keep an eye on those GPUs you mentioned.
But what about this configuration:

GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7750 1GB
CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 Socket-LGA1150, Dual Core, 3.0GHz, 3MB
RAM: Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 4GB

If this is not sufficient, what would you tweak?

I really appreciate your help guys!
Can you give a budget for tweaking and what region you are purchasing from, I can be a lot more helpful then, but a 7750 would get you probably high settings with decent framerate, though I would get a better processor than a Pentium D, plus you would need a new motherboard because the sockets are different.

though I would get a better processor than a Pentium D
I concur!

Might as well stay with LGA775 and upgrade Core2Duo to Core2Quad, if you are willing to settle for a Pentium Dual-Core performance. If Core2Quad is not sufficient, an i3 or better is where you want to be.

I dont know what your budget is yet, but let me see if I can give you an idea what you will need to get that game at ultra decently without breaking the bank.

A10 6800k $139
Gigabyte A85X 74.99
Corsair Vengeance 1600 2x4gb (8gb total 76.99
AMD R7 260x 139.99

With this you can at least see high for sure with a stable 60 FPS based on my experience with the game, Ultra would be more than 30 FPS with this build for sure, but since I cant test it this way I cant give you 100%, but that should do nicely.

Looks like a great build, at least price wise :) I live in Sweden, Europe (if that's what you mean by region) and my budget is approx 400-500 Euro, which is roughly $600-700.

Looks like a great build, at least price wise :) I live in Sweden, Europe (if that's what you mean by region) and my budget is approx 400-500 Euro, which is roughly $600-700.
Ah well that helps alot, let me see what I can do using Amazon:

This is a build assuming you have no reuseable parts (So from scratch)

Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200RPM
Liton DVD Drive
Corsair Carbide 200R
Sapphire R9 270X OC
OCZ 550Watt Bronze PSU
Corsair Vengeance 1600 2x4gb Ram 8gb
ASrock A85X Extreme Micro ATX
A10 6800K
Total Cost is 526 Euros Roughly, now thats above your 500 Euro Budget, but this is about as low as I would be willing to suggest to get Ultra on that game. The 6800k Processor is more than enough power to handle it and its a quad core, the 270X should be more than sufficient for Ultra Settings at least with resonable framerate on Rome 2, the board is a decent board that will be tough enough to handle the parts wel, plenty of ram, Good PSU to handle the componenets, Nice case, and then I like Seagate drives and that should suffice for now.

If you need it to go under that budget, my suggestion is to trade out the A10-6800K and get this instead:

AMD Athlon X4 760K

That will bring the total down to 480 Euros respectively.

This should at least give you an idea/starting point to go off of, ask if you have any questions.

Thank you so much for all your help! Like you said, even if I decide on a slightly different configuration, at least now I have some kind of reference point.

Your help has been much appreciated! (y)

Back