Unable to connect to most websites -- not a browser problem

So about a few weeks ago (not exactly sure when it started) my computer stopped allowing me to access certain websites. It started out with only a few, but now it is almost 50-80% not connecting. I do not think it is a problem with my browser. I typically use Firefox, but IE will connect to the same ones Firefox allows, and will also not connect to the same websites Firefox will not allow.

I have searched these forums for a couple of hours now and nothing seems to fit my exact problem, and I am hesitant to use the solutions from other forums because it might further hurt my system. I am not tech-savvy/computer literate to say the least, and I would need a thorough walk-through on how to diagnose the problem, as well as how to fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

How are you not allowed to view the website? Does the page show "The page cannot be displayed"? or you are not authorized or something else?

Try running cmd.exe, type "ipconfig /flushdns" without quotes.

Have the changes in browser behaviour coincided with any changes to your software? Have you removed any anti virus or firewall or other security applications like Symantec Norton?

What firewall and anti-virus do you use? Also, how often do you run virus scans, and have you done one since the problems started?

Also, is there any other change in behaviour besides the problem with accessing other sites?

Try to ping a couple of sites you cannot now access in your browsers. To do this, do the following:

Click start > run > type cmd.exe and hit return. In the prompt box type (replace Microsoft with your websites) the following:
Code:
ping www.microsoft.com

If it works, you will get a responses. If it fails it will time out in each of the 4 checks made. try a couple of the websites that do not work, and report back to us.

Hey you guys, thanks so much for your quick responses. I have figured out the problem. It turns out my son downloaded a program called PeerBlock. I suppose it is used to keep him anonymous from illegal bit torrent parties? Anyways, it was blocking virtually every website from connecting to my IP and therefore stopping my accesses to the websites.

Thanks again for the quick responses. I really truly appreciate it.

Even I was facing the same problem. My access to the sites got reduced with each passing day. Then I checked the software which I recently installed from control panel. There was one unknown software installed, I just uninstalled it. After that I have full access to all the sites and happy that this problem is solved now.

The "GUEST" account is ideal for containing users - - meaning, not allowing them to install things like these which impact the system.

It is good practice to isolate all users by giving them their own login ids which will do the same thing and NEVER use the admin account or an account with admin privileges for day-to-day activities.

Back