Unable to play online games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

Someone recommended your forums so I thought I'd post here.
I have a problem with playing online games.

I recently moved and got cable ISP access to the net.
It works great, pretty fast, and there's no connecting to Blizzard game servers.

I can see the servers, I can ping and tracert them, see that times are fast compared to before I moved (Johannesburg) but am unable to connect.
I've opened the firewall wide on all ports required and nothing happens.
I've started a Blizzard tech support forum thread and they don't know the problem.

Tried the open port check tool on canyouseeme.org
and with an open firewall I get a "Connection Refused" error.
THey can see my ip address. I know NAT is probably part of the problem and that some (most?) sites see me with a different IP to the one I have locally on my net card.

I can't set up port forwarding on the modem since the option isn't available on the web interface. But I do know that people with the same hardware modem and technology (cable) are perfectly able to play Blizzard games in nice civilised countries like the UK.

I just don't want to give up, and my ISP is totally unhelpful towards the matter.
They say all ports are open, I say they're closing my gaming ports and am unable to connect to remote gaming servers. It must be them that are blocking things?

Do you think there's anything I can really do here, since I don't like giving up on things I enjoy like playing Blizzard games?

Lots of info here on setting up firewall: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=21015&rhtml=true?rhtml=y

But it may be better just to disable it (to test) or fully remove your personal firewall
There were some reports on, some installed (peer to peer) programs causing issues too

Obviously you could be "banned" too (that's a possibility)

Lastly it's always best to remove all cache, and temporary Internet files, try CCleaner for that

You could also try all these at a (Admin) command prompt:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /renew
net stop "DNS Client"
net start "DNS Client"
netsh int ip reset reset.log

Thanks for the reply. Nothing I haven't tried though.

I've played behind a firewall everytime since early bnet days so should know how
to configure it by now. Have tried without a firewall too.
No peer to peer software installed.

Never been banned from bnet.
Do clean my cache from time to time.
I run the repair command regularly.

Have recently been trying to connect with port forwarding enabled through software.
Nothing seems to work, simply unable to connect.

Just wondering if it really is the ISP blocking things, is there any chance to
get around it this side, or will I just have to put up with until I eventually take my business elsewhere?
I really can't believe it can be anything but their NAT firewall, and asking them to set things up so Blizzard games work seems to be a waste of time..

Member Jobeard here is good at this stuff
I hope he reads the thread

Not sure how to get around your Server issue (not exactly, that is!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back