Unable to reload XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, first problem, when I turned on pc it didnt boot up, only booted up after switching off, then on. So reflashed bios to older version, prob not the best idea. Then got an error that a windows file was corrupted and couldnt load windows, tried doing a repair from the dvd, unable to do so, it just froze. Then formatted the drive on another pc. Tried reinstalling xp, its freezes randomly through the setup process, got as far as 'now starting windows', it froze there. The ram I have is new, the graphics card also as well as the motherboard. When I formatted the drive on the other pc, it gave an error in the bootup when it was connected that it was bad or something and I should back it up. I managed to back up the drive luckily.
So the main problem being is that I cant install windows again, I think its the drive but I havent had an opportunity to get another one yet.
Hope somone out there can help

The newness of anything does not guarentee quality. RAM is not bread that just goes stale over time!

Test the RAM with memtest86(+), test the hard drive with the manufacturer-provided diagnostics utility.

It might not be a bad idea, to put the hard drive in your other machine (take the working drive out of there) and try installing windows on it in that machine - that way if it installs you know its a problem on the other machine, if it still doesnt install you know its the hard drive.

Also, when you do try installing to the drive i would recommend doing a full format, as this will also check the drive for errors.

The ram was working fine up until the pc crashed. I will try test the ram, and the drive. Will let you know it turns out. Appreciate the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back