uninstall mcafee

Status
Not open for further replies.

marygg

Tried to uninstall mcafee and got error message box "This computer is in use and has been locked" Unable to use password to unlock and ctl-alt-del did not unlock it. Turning off computer with the power button did not work.
Is the system locked? How can I get access?

Press the power button and hold it in for 15 to 20 seconds. That will shut down the computer, and allow a manual restart
However, I do not understand the password error message... so maybe you don't yet want to turn it off.
Did you use Add and Remove Programs to delete McAfee? If not, do that now.
Also, go to your BIOS and change any settings related to passwords, and read your manual about anything to do with passwords... As well as the McAfee site.
I assume this is part of McAfee normal security in their new Security Suite, but I detest McAfee for these gimmicks to much that I no longer use it.

can you boot in safe mode , and try uninstall McAfee by add/remove

How about McAfee Removal Tool

Make sure that McAfee is not running when you go to uninstall it.

Although Pejung's suggestion of Safe Mode can help uninstalling some programs, it probably won't work for anti-virus programs and such. They require special security priviledges that are disabled in Safe Mode and, hence, the uninstall probably won't proceed.

What often works is using a simple registry editor such as TweakUI, RegClean, or RegCleaner. Remove all the lines in the registry related to McAfee... then reboot and use the removal tool or simply add and remove
If you still have trouble, install using the McAfee install disk, then immediately remove in add and remove

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back